ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (11/181) > >>

Armando:
so i can concentrate on using all this stuff instead of forever changing things, actually do something with it lol
-Grorgy (May 20, 2007, 05:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Right. I know exactly what you mean.

Armando:
If you want the final free version (5.6.3) grab it quick from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/x1.html
-Carol Haynes (May 20, 2007, 05:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's really kind of you!
Thanks.

Carol Haynes:
You're welcome

It is strange that they changed their policy like that. I can understand charging business users but home users have so many other free choices these days who would pay $50 when you can use dozens of other apps for free. For me X1 is ideal because I have about 10 archived PST files from MS Outlook and it is great to be able to search my entire email archive instantly without having Outlook waste time opening all the PST files every time.

Grorgy:
i dont know if its still true but gizmos list says that the yahoo desktop search uses the same X1 engine so you can probably get it for free that way if you want it, you get the rest of the stuff yahoo put in to but, well beggars cant be choosers

Darwin:
I'm still confused about what's happening with X1. Following the Yahoo Desktop Search download link takes you to www.x1.com/yahoo and this message:

Your free desktop search tool should begin downloading immediately. As a preferred partner of Yahoo!, we now offer the free version of our award-winning desktop search product to all Yahoo! users (X1 Professional Client v5.6.4 Build 3470 ).

--- End quote ---

So it *looks* like X1 will remain free. What I *think* is happening is that they're simplifying things and going with one installer for all versions. From reading their forums, it *looks* like they are going to make the indexing of network drives an option available to home users for $50, and are simplifying things by using one installer so that when you first install X1 this feature will function as a 30 day trial before the installation reverts to the Desktop client version (which will remain free)...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version