ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (86/181) > >>

MrCrispy:
What about Vista users? Search-GT doesn't seem to be integrated into Vista as the search provider, which would make it a lot more powerful.

I also WANT indexing. It doesn't have to constantly thrash the hard dosk (WDS 4  is a lot better) and no matter how fast the app, searching an index will always be an order of magnitude faster. Plus you can search on metadata, refine searches etc all without hitting the Filesystem. And you can search offline files and disks, networked pc's etc, I mean the benefits of a good index are just too many!

Curt:
-

... SearchGT not .. updated for 3½ months..., but it is *not* as if there aren't a number of features still not available...-Curt (July 16, 2008, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

- so, yes, MrCrispy, I will agree with you on this in quite a number of situations. I guess most programs have some favourite situations where they may show some excellence, so to speak, and I have just told about (another) one of SearchGT's. However, if I had the money, I think I would try to see if I can use  SearchInform on my PC (it is being marketed for corporates). If you take the time to read the various "read more..." you will most likely think this is a VERY capable search application!

SearchInform comes in 3 versions, Free, $ 49, or $ 199.

- and among many other features it does index The Bat!

Darwin:
SearchInform does look nice, Curt. I gave it a whirl, but uninstalled it because:

* I have a licenced copy of X1 Pro

* Ditto for dtSearch with Spider

* Ditto for Archivarius

:o :-[

Couple the above point with the two following:

1. The free version doesn't appear to index e-mail
2. I moved my documents folder from its default location to a partition and SearchInform couldn't find it... Rendered it essentially useless for me.

And I wasn't too motivated to dig any deeper. I would, however, be interested in hearing from anyone that has/does use it. If I was still actively looking for an indexing solution I would be giving SearchInform serious consideration.

MrCrispy:
What desktop search app best supports 'smart folders'. The WDS 4.0 saved searches feature is useless because

- the search syntax has a lot more power than is exposed to the user (typical of Microsoft). I'll be damned if I'm typing all of that
- its too damn slow.
- did I say its horribly inefficient and slow? In the search results, try adding another column (like size). It will run the whole query all over again for no reason.

I want to create my smart folders like (docs about work I have created in last week), (all video on my pc > 100mb) etc. I found a lot of references to Blinkx 'smart folders' but it seems they no longer make it.

johnk:
Does anyone know of a desktop search program that will search a (Firefox) Scrapbook database in a user-friendly fashion? By which I mean...

Scrapbook simply saves html pages, so any search program will index them. But all the pages are named "index.html". Scrapbook's built-in (non-indexed) search returns page titles rather than file names, which is fine. But the search programs I use (Archivarius, WDS) don't offer this option, so every search of Scrapbook pages just brings back a list of "index.html" pages -- you have to view each one to find what you're looking for. I'd like to find a search program that offers the option to view page titles for HTML files rather than filenames.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version