ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (70/181) > >>

Darwin:
Heh, heh - as noted elsewhere ( see this post), I've also licensed dtSearch and love it... My software obsession of late has been for search tools and I have MANY. The three indexing options I use are Archivarius, dtSearch, and X1. Likely, though, I'll stick with X1 on my work machine and move dtSearch and Archivarius to my other machines. Archivarius is awesome in terms of the formats it supports, its speed, and its amazingly small footprint. I was very happy with it on its own for over a year and remain happy with it. Of late, though, I have missed the ability to preview my search results with formatting, which led me back to X1 and also to re-evaluate dtSearch. Both are excellent. dtSearch is lighter on resources and less intrusive, but generates a larger index file. X1 generates the smallest index and has the best previewing capabilities and Archivarius generates the largest index (up to four times the size).

Sorry, typing this is a rush job - my four year old is having a melt down and my attention has been split between this post and his tantrum! Happy days...  ;D

Lashiec:
Wait, are you using three desktop search engines? Are you storing the indexes in a server? ;D

Darwin:
Wait, are you using three desktop search engines? Are you storing the indexes in a server? ;D
-Lashiec (June 03, 2008, 06:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

My name is Mike and I am a software addict...

I'm running all three on a notebook with a 120GB harddrive... The indices combined total about 3GB - the largest being Archivarius at about 2GB with dtSearch weighing in at 580MB and X1 at 472MB... I still have about 20 GB free so am not worried. I *know* that I *should* settle on one (or at most two!) and uninstall what I'm not using, but then what would I do about the 15 file managers that I have installed, the multiple file/folder compparators, and the numerous reg-ex/text search and replace apps that I have installed. Then there are the office suites and the note takers/web archivers. Nope. Too many decisions  :P

Dormouse:
My name is Mike and I am a software addict...

I'm running all three on a notebook with a 120GB harddrive..-Darwin (June 04, 2008, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I'm surprised that you can fit all your software into 120GB. ;)

tomos:
but then what would I do about the 15 file managers that I have installed, the multiple file/folder compparators, and the numerous reg-ex/text search and replace apps that I have installed. Then there are the office suites and the note takers/web archivers. Nope. Too many decisions  :P
-Darwin (June 04, 2008, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

must make it a very expensive laptop Mike!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version