ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (56/181) > >>

Dormouse:
I thought, 'what on earth do I want with a prog that only searches for file names when I have all these search progs already?'

But, I read above, I tried it, astoundingly fast - and so light on resources - I bought it.

Thanks for the comments Curt & KenR  :)

PS it does seem to find folders for me which the info on bitsdujour suggests it does not do yet

PPS it seems that Dopus integration (and others) will be added - about 2 months away.

PPPS was free on GAOTD a few weeks ago  :) Never mind.

rjbull:
Singing the praises of an app that a software addict such as myself can't actually try out is like waving a red flag at a bull. -Darwin (March 13, 2008, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Back in the DOS days, I tried a lot of shareware.  The scenario was often that I'd try several things in one session, only looking at them superficially, and binning them rapidly if they didn't solve the immediate problem.  Then, a few months later, I'd have a slightly different problem, and think hmmm, didn't that such-and-such program say it did that?  And re-test as appropriate.  Because it was DOS, uninstalling almost invariably removed all traces of the program and one could start an evaluation period all over from scratch.  I wasn't trying to rip anyone off, but I don't usually have time or inclination for exhaustive tests, nor can I always see ahead to the next problem.

But the Windows Registry has changed all that.  Software producers have a means of ruthlessly and mindlessly enforcing their policies, as if I had a continuous 30 days or whatever to test their software.  In other words, it's a damn sight harder to test software than it used to be, and more expensive.  I don't really have an answer to that, but miss the good old times...   :(

rjbull:
One thing to note about Seeker is that it DOES search within files, which may be why it was taking longer than SearchGT. -Darwin (March 13, 2008, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

For speed in looking inside files, you'd have a hard time beating BareGrep Pro or plain BareGrep if you don't need the integrated viewer.  Plain strings or regexps, but sadly no Boolean searching.

Darwin:
Heh... I have BareGrep Pro and you're right - it's downright SCARY. Try leaving your search term "in place" exiting the program and opening it again a week later... files are scrolling past you faster than you can read them and you have no idea why!

dantheman:
Hi,

I've been using CDS's latest 2.3 build 18 on XP Home and it just chews up my CPU when updating.
Yahoo's is probably best as you can set it aside once it's finished and it doesn't leave anything running in the background and it doesn't chew up much system resources even when on.

FileLocatorPro has boolean search (so does their freeware alternative).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version