ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (51/181) > >>

Curt:
We seriously need dtSearch to be part of the next SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY, and have a fixed Shareware Discounts for Members! It may be one of the very best, all right, but man it is expensive!  :o

Hold your horses, Darwin!

http://www.dtsearch.com/

Armando:
Babis : thanks for your comments.

But, it's been a while... It might have improved.
-Armando (March 09, 2008, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

But I stand behind what I said nevertheless. At the time, I made some fairly precise (personal) comparisons. I'd have to do it again and I don't have the time right now.

If I have the time I'll update my comments.

Armando:
BTW, Darwin and others using Archivarius : I just noticed that Archivarius searches an finds metadata very well! :-[
I searched for  Find and Run Robot, looking for something I wrote a while ago, and saw 15 screenshots of farr in the result pane (and archivarius showed the images, of course). None of them had "Find and Run Robot" in their name nor their containing folders, etc. But they did have some EXIF or other info somewhere in the file (taken with screenshotcaptor)... X1 doesn't do that. (but maybe dtsearch does...  ;))

Darwin:
Odd. I can't make this work, Armando - in either dtSearch or Archivarius.

Update to dtSearch trial: I updated my database, including Outlook files, and it did so in about 5 minutes flat. Very nice.

CWuestefeld:
I've experimented with dtSearch in the past. The big negative is the price. It's also rather clunky in its UI, and even more so in its configuration (at least as of a few years ago).

The big plus, to me, was the ability to set up separate indexes. So I could have one that indexed my regular email and work files; an other that indexes e-books; and make targeted requests against them since I know what sort of thing I'm looking for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version