Whelp, I tried Archivarius -- it lasted about 30 minutes on my system before I undeleted it.
- Trial edition runs 30 days; groovy. Should be plenty of time to evaluate it and compare side-by-side with X1.
- Trial edition only indexes 10,000 files. Whaaaa..? I mean, I have folders with more than 10,000 files in them.
- Whenever I did a search against my puny 10,000 file index I'd get a result pane full of stuff. And it was QUICK. Whoa, pretty. Very cool looking.
- Scrolling within that list was insanely slow, and displayed a pop-up "please wait" kind of dialog with a countdown calibrated in .1 second increments. Sometimes the dialog would be there for 2 or 3 seconds, sometimes less than half a second. Almost EVERY TIME I scrolled or did anything the stupid dialog popped up. This behavior almost gave me siezures; I'd go for the mouse to click on something and up it'd pop. D'oh! I'd wait for the dialog to clear, click on something else... click again... wait... wait... no dialog. Hm. Clicky and... D'oH!!
- If it does this with a measly 10,000 files, what'll it do after indexing 2TB of local files?
So it's gone. I maye have been a bit quick with the uninstall, but honestly I was starting to react emotionally to this software, and not in the good way.
Apologies to anyone who's an Archivarius fan, I really REALLY wanted to like it. X1 is slow sometimes but I'll take slow over annoying any time, any place. I'm sticking with X1 unless somebody can tell me there's some secret "Do Not Be Annoying" switch I failed to notice for Archivarius.