Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 20, 2014, 02:10:59 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why is my Firefox searching for updates when aut. updating not is enabled?  (Read 2536 times)
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: November 25, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »

First title was: "How can Firefox search for updates when aut updating not is enabled?", but I think this new title is more accurate.
----------------------

My Outpost Security Suite Pro 8 popped up a warning basically saying "mozilla firefox/Updater.exe is trying to do something...", and blocked the updater. I went to check my settings, because I never have auto-updating enabled in Firefox, and surely it was disabled => "Never search for updates".

But how can Firefox (24) search for updates when auto updates not is enabled?  tellme  
And are there other forms of "contacts" Mozilla also is lying about?

This is the first time I have this problem with Firefox. A scanning revealed no problems.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:01:36 AM by Curt » Logged
erikts
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 08:16:12 PM »

Perhaps you could check update activity via menu Tools|Option|Advanced|Update|Show Update History.

Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 01:50:26 AM »

-thanks, erikts, but
My Firefox Update History is of course reflecting that, automatic updating is disabled.
I have updated it 3 times: July (v22), August (v23), September (v24):

so why did Firefox suddenly try to update nevertheless?  tellme
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:02:35 AM by Curt » Logged
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 03:41:36 AM »

What are your settings exactly?
I get notification - have you that option enabled?

if so, I would presume it's simply checking what's available.
If not...

[edit] sorry I missed that in your screenshot there Curt [/edit]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:27:25 AM by tomos » Logged

Tom
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 06:36:56 AM »

as my picture shows... I don't ask for notifications

So, "not..."  ;-)
erikts
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »

Okay. If you don't block \Mozilla Firefox\updater.exe, perhaps you can inspect the activity via Show Update History menu or firewall log.

An old-locked thread in Mozillazine is similar to your case, OP has disable update but still saw Updater.Exe activities.

I don't know ... may be Mozilla forced you to upgrade.   undecided
clk4suport
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:48:15 PM »

Hi there,

As per me, don't look in firefox settings, you have to look for your PC settings.
There is an option in PC control panel. there is find auto update option.
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 10:16:10 AM »

... A scanning revealed no problems.

-rubbish. Back then I was only thinking about scanning, but I didn't take the time to actually do it!  embarassed

Now this has turned up again:

Please check & tell if you have a updater.exe in your Mozilla Firefox folder?  embarassed
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »

yep, i do.
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 10:20:39 AM »

thanks, mouser. Is it 266 KB (273304 byte) ?

btw:

Quote from: update-settings.ini
; If you modify this file updates may fail.
; Do not modify this file.

[Settings]
ACCEPTED_MAR_CHANNEL_IDS=firefox-mozilla-release
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 10:34:10 AM »

I have updated to version 25, so I expect the problem will be gone for a few weeks.

MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »

I had a similar thing with Opera x64 12.14.  It has check for updates on by default.  It asks me if I want to update to 12.16.  Like an idiot I click OK.  Then I cancel.  So now I have to delete the temp folder with the update or it will pop up a dialog every time I start it asking to install the downloaded update.

Anyway, I do the update, then change the setting to never check for updates.  It puts all the crap advert bookmarks I just cleaned off the toolbar back on.  Then it changes the update setting back to Check For Updates.

I see why they are going away.  The sad part is, it's the only browser out of Firefox, Waterfox or Opera that has snappy resonse on my Windows8 Laptop.

btw the editing trick still works in the bookmarks.adr file.  If you import bookmarks from Firefox, just go into bookmarks.adr and delete the entry that says Firefox folder at the top.  Now the Firefox bookmarks will be at the root.

"I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty."
- Groucho Marx
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 12:16:45 AM »

Just in case you have not already checked these fields in about:config ...
it's item 34 on this page - About:config entries - MozillaZine Knowledge Base.

Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 07:57:47 AM »

Thanks, IainB. But I don't have any "update".
Has it been replaced by app.update?

tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 08:53:49 AM »

But I don't have any "update".

me neither FWIW

Tom
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 12:58:35 PM »

^^ Sorry about that. Maybe the clip is for an earlier (older) version of Firefox(?).

I run on the FF beta channel, and it always automatically uploaded and installed the latest ß version, but then recently the ßs started crashing a lot, so I searched for a way to block the installs, and came across a post that showed how if I changed the settings for 2 fields in about:config, then the auto-install would become "manually accept". So I did that and it worked.
However, I can't for the life of me recall what the specific settings were.    embarassed
So the settings I copied above were the best that I could come up with.
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 04:37:06 PM »

Has it been replaced by app.update?

Yes, app.update.* - see here.

Check:
app.update.auto
app.update.enabled
app.update.silent

And remember, there's also:
extensions.update.enabled

Which is set from the Add-ons Manager:

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 04:59:01 PM by 4wd » Logged

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 12:43:42 AM »

-wow, that was thorough answer! Thank you, 4wd!

As my above screenshot shows, my personnal setting was "NEVER search for updates", yet app.update.auto was "True", which can explain a lot. I have changed it to "False", now time will tell if that's all that's needed.

Thanks again, 4wd, your answer was way beyond what any one could ask for! Thmbsup
clk4suport
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 11:36:37 PM »

Hi,

i am new here. but i trying to find some info regarding some issues.

Thank You allow me to join this community.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.044s | Server load: 0.12 ]