topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: any bug tracking tool suggested?  (Read 8483 times)

reneet

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • WarningUser is banned
any bug tracking tool suggested?
« on: February 24, 2018, 03:06 AM »
hey, coders! What bug tracking tool you use that is open source? Thanks. ;)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: any bug tracking tool suggested?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Redmine - http://www.redmine.org/
Bugzilla - https://www.bugzilla.org/
Trac - https://trac.edgewall.org/browser
Mantis - https://www.mantisbt.org/

We evaluated them years ago, but the company decided to just use VSTS and it's integrated tools, which is also what I migrated to since with my MSDN subscription, I get a free license.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:31 PM by wraith808 »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 01:54 PM »
You want (or need) to host the solution yourself or not?

While not free or open source, I heartily recommend Jira. The other projects mentioned by wraith808 are very good and mature issue-trackers, but the interface and manageability of Jira is awesome. They have a cheap plan of 10 USD/month for a max of 10 users and prices go down if you need to add more people. There is also their solution that you can host on your own hardware.

In any case, Jira is already very feature complete and if you put in the time, you can manage every aspect of the workflow you like or need. And if things are still missing, you can make your own plugin(s) or get one from their shop. Which is mainly filled with plug-ins that other 3rd-party companies have made and they offer these either freely or with a commercial license.

Jira is a product from the Atlassian company and integrates very well with other Atlassian products. Been using Jira (self-hosted) for more than 10 years already and it is really an excellent tool for keeping track of issues, it integrates very well with 3rd party version tracking of files out-of-the-box, keeps track of time spent on issues, generating reports, graphical overviews and lots more. Never had one inkling of using anything else since.

Atlassian software, that truly is money well spent. No affiliation, besides being a happy user.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Wraith named all the ones I know.

reneet

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • WarningUser is banned
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 02:42 AM »
Thank you all, guys. It is quite inclusive. I am trying Redmine and ZenTao now. Probably gonna write a comparison report soon.

reneet

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • WarningUser is banned
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 03:55 AM »
You want (or need) to host the solution yourself or not?

While not free or open source, I heartily recommend Jira. The other projects mentioned by wraith808 are very good and mature issue-trackers, but the interface and manageability of Jira is awesome. They have a cheap plan of 10 USD/month for a max of 10 users and prices go down if you need to add more people. There is also their solution that you can host on your own hardware.

In any case, Jira is already very feature complete and if you put in the time, you can manage every aspect of the workflow you like or need. And if things are still missing, you can make your own plugin(s) or get one from their shop. Which is mainly filled with plug-ins that other 3rd-party companies have made and they offer these either freely or with a commercial license.

Jira is a product from the Atlassian company and integrates very well with other Atlassian products. Been using Jira (self-hosted) for more than 10 years already and it is really an excellent tool for keeping track of issues, it integrates very well with 3rd party version tracking of files out-of-the-box, keeps track of time spent on issues, generating reports, graphical overviews and lots more. Never had one inkling of using anything else since.

Atlassian software, that truly is money well spent. No affiliation, besides being a happy user.

Thank you! It is a great answear:)