ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to avoid paying taxes and save billions

<< < (3/6) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
Only the super rich can afford to play games like this with the legal system.
-mouser (October 21, 2010, 09:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

100% agreed. It's very much a shame.

-Renegade (October 21, 2010, 09:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Combined with a general decline of philanthropy, I think it can only point a general increase in selfishness amongst the haves (be they individuals or companies)  :(

Our economics are so rooted in training our haves to be greedy and buy more (than they need)... was it Carter (when he was President) who said that America would defend their right to maintan the lifestyle they'd become accustomed to with military force (this was during one of the oil crisis I think)? Australia is currently stealing East Timor's Oil and Gas reserves...

Renegade:
Read Karl Marx. :)

He's got a few good points to make. :D
-Renegade (October 21, 2010, 09:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Spirit Level: Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better has a lot of good things to say based on a lot of data over many years...

-Perry Mowbray (October 21, 2010, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I so wish that I could just buy a PDF copy...

Found this: The Spirit Level Delusion: Fact-checking the Left's new theory of everything

It would be nice to get both and compare.

OT: I loathe buying books here. The prices are simply through the roof. I went into a book store the other day and just about choked. $50 book going for $120. (Ok, $49.99 going for $117.99.) I hate feeling like I'm getting fleeced.

Perry Mowbray:

Found this: The Spirit Level Delusion: Fact-checking the Left's new theory of everything

It would be nice to get both and compare.

OT: I loathe buying books here. The prices are simply through the roof. I went into a book store the other day and just about choked. $50 book going for $120. (Ok, $49.99 going for $117.99.) I hate feeling like I'm getting fleeced.
-Renegade (October 21, 2010, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's an interesting find: but the readers' comments were somewhat disconcerting... concerning the unbiased nature of the book. If you do read it I'd be interested in what you thought.

Certainly the Spirit Level comes with an outstanding pedigree  :) 

Renegade:
Yes, that's an interesting find: but the readers' comments were somewhat disconcerting... concerning the unbiased nature of the book. If you do read it I'd be interested in what you thought.

Certainly the Spirit Level comes with an outstanding pedigree  :) 
-Perry Mowbray (October 21, 2010, 10:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

To be honest, I wouldn't expect too much from it. It's pretty easy to destroy. Creation is the difficult part. It would just be interesting to see if they had anything to say that I could actually swallow.

That being said, I really have no clue about either as I've not read them. I'm just sort of more inclined these days to mitigate my skepticism in places, and particularly in more constructive ways.

4wd:
OT: I loathe buying books here. The prices are simply through the roof. I went into a book store the other day and just about choked. $50 book going for $120. (Ok, $49.99 going for $117.99.) I hate feeling like I'm getting fleeced. -Renegade (October 21, 2010, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Still OT: That's why I don't buy books here :)

The library, AbeBooks, local Probus book swap, op shops, local book fair (this Melbourne Cup Day), CFA jumble sale and library book sales are the only places I get books these days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version