ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Monitor is a Limiting Form Factor

(1/3) > >>

Renegade:
Ok, I'm sick of BS claims by semi-retarded journalists. I felt like destroying one BS claim: "the desktop is dead".

I've just written up why the desktop will never die.

I take a rational approach and explain why the media whores are complete morons.

My general approach is to explain types then go for specifics.

I identify 7 types of computing then classify then into 2 types then go from there.

I conclude with the monitor being a limiting form factor.

KynloStephen66515:
Agreed,

With me at least, the desktop will never die.  Ican never get what I need from a laptop, especially with screen real estate.

Laptops are also stupidly hard to modify if you have big hands (I have rather large hands and chunky fingers), this also means I sometimes have to connect an external keyboard in order to type with any actual speed behind me.

Gaming:

I simply CANNOT game on a laptop WITHOUT an external mouse/keyboard.  The touchpad and onboard keyboard are useless to me.

Writing/Programing:

Can be done on laptop, however, with the lack of screen space, I find it difficult to concentrate because i am having to constantly minimize my window to grab something from the background or choose a new sone because my playlist has repeated itself 6 times.  At least on a normal computer with multiple screens, this is solved because I can have what i need for writing on one, and everything else on the others.

Deozaan:
Yeah, but once they get those paper-thin OLED displays that you can roll up in your laptop bag, the desktop is DOOMED! ;)

MilesAhead:
It will be replaced by a Wi-Fi earring.  The audio/visual pumped directly into your brain.

I understand the etiquette is left ear for Linux and right ear for Windows.

Stoic Joker:
I understand the etiquette is left ear for Linux and right ear for Windows.-MilesAhead (October 20, 2010, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm guessing you would have needed to have a drivers license in the 70s to be old enough to get that joke...

...I did btw.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version