ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hidden Taxes... ever considered these?

<< < (4/4)

Renegade:
In consideration of this it occurred to me I was subsidizing the government via...

* The use of my computer.
* The use of my paper.
* The use of my printer and ink.
* ... Well, you get the idea....

I'm not sure WHAT we can do about any of these types of oppression.-CodeTRUCKER (October 19, 2010, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

You claim the costs involved on your Tax Return, that's what I do, so I don't end up paying any more tax than what I should, (of course that's a purely subjective amount ;) ).

If you already do your Tax Return via computer then you should already be claiming some of its cost as a tax deduction - you add a little more.  Same with the printer and its supplies.

About the only thing you can't claim is your time, (in Australia anyway).
-4wd (October 19, 2010, 07:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can you claim the computer, Internet connection, and printer and supplies as a tax deduction? That is, you are forced to print the forms yourself, so you are forced to have a computer, printer and Internet connection, so what's to say that you didn't purchase it all for the express purpose of doing your tax forms? It may seem a bit assanine, but it is perfectly possible. After all, fight fire with fire, right? :D

4wd:
Can you claim the computer, Internet connection, and printer and supplies as a tax deduction? That is, you are forced to print the forms yourself, so you are forced to have a computer, printer and Internet connection, so what's to say that you didn't purchase it all for the express purpose of doing your tax forms? It may seem a bit assanine, but it is perfectly possible. After all, fight fire with fire, right? :D
-Renegade (October 19, 2010, 09:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's pushing your luck a little far if they decide to audit you, (eg. 'Why do you have so many games installed on your business computer?")  ;D

But you are within your right to claim any usage for your business or on their behalf, (eg. they want you to submit form XYZ obtainable by printing the downloadable version on their website), as a tax deduction.

Perry Mowbray:
As 4wd says, in Australia you only get to claim Tax Deductions when an activity is used to generate income; ie generally a business... and even then, it'd be an appropriate percentage for shared items. Mobile Phone usage is a classic...

We can claim the Accountant's fee for preparing our tax returns. We can claim debit interest and accont keeping fees for personal accounts that generate income.

I don't think we'd be able to claim computers / printing costs / etc for printing out forms for personal activity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version