Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 24, 2014, 11:14:56 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Ball - Portal-like game with a err.. ball  (Read 7391 times)
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:50:16 AM »

The Ball is a first person puzzle game where you use a err.. ball to solve puzzles and vanquish undead mummies.

You're an archaeologist working on the slopes of a dormant volcano in 1940s Mexico. Somehow you get stuck in a cavern. It doesn’t take long before you realize this is more than just a cave. You reveal ancient ruins that have been hidden from outsiders for centuries and discover a mysterious artifact, a gold and metal shelled Ball. As you progress towards solving the mystery of this amazing place you must unlock the secrets of the Ball and learn to control this ancient artifact. Venturing deeper into the volcano, you reveal some of mankind’s greatest secrets and you will start to encounter not just puzzles and traps, but also various strange creatures – the guardians of this mystery. These creatures have to be overcome, using only the Ball to defend you.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4lY_gbcSX8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4lY_gbcSX8</a>

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35460/

Josh
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 08:52:51 AM »

Already pre-ordered. Thanks for the heads up on IRC lanux!

Strength in Knowledge
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 09:01:52 AM »

looks cool but annoying smiley
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:35:57 PM »

So is the artifact they're protecting the Ball or is it the gravity gun? Personally I think the Gravity Gun-like thing is much cooler than a giant ball.

Then again, maybe the Ball can do stuff I don't know about yet.

Josh
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »

The gun and ball combo can do many things, take a look at www.theballthegame.com smiley

Strength in Knowledge
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 09:12:38 PM »

you're welcome, Josh! my internet went down just as i was talking about it in the irc.

btw, there are some previews of the game on their website.

http://www.theballthegame.com/?p=882

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 03:06:45 PM »

Stumped by this a couple of days ago because it was mentioned on STEAM News or something. The first comment from my girlfriend was "Hah, that's a Portal ripoff - companion ball, eh?".

Still, there's quite different elements in it compared to Portal, and it looks like it might be interesting. A bit too little information in the videos (there's mostly just some combat action, I'd like to see a bit more of the puzzle elements and what you can do with the ball), but it does seem like something that might be worth checking out smiley

- carpe noctem
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 07:16:27 AM »

about that, i posted in the forums about the lack of videos with puzzles and this is the reply by one of the devs.

Quote from: Hourences
No not right now, we don't want to show too many puzzles as it would give away the solutions to those puzzles and ruin the experience. There will be a demo a week or maybe 2 after the Steam release though.

http://forums.steampowere...=17929406&postcount=5

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 10:45:55 AM »

Me too!  Thanks!

y0himba
Charter Member

Yar.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 11:08:01 AM »

Pre-ordered!  Thanks for the heads up!

My Web Site:  http://www.y0himba.net
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »

there is a 50% off sale ($9.99) for today only (Nov. 28, 2010). an engaging FPP (1st person puzzler) that will help to lessen the delay of Portal 2. smiley

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 08:57:47 PM »

Another example of why I shouldn't buy games at release.  I pre-ordered this one, and haven't played it yet.  Sad

If I had waited, I could have saved money!

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 09:26:40 PM »

Another example of why I shouldn't buy games at release.  I pre-ordered this one, and haven't played it yet.  Sad

If I had waited, I could have saved money!

lol, they had 10% pre-order discount and an exclusive Killing Floor skin.. in any case it's a good game, you should find some time for it.. Wink

also there is a demo if anyone else wants to give it a try..

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 01:49:20 AM »

Game sucks, anyway - at least it really doesn't work for me. I find it kind of tragic that the Unreal Engine 3 looked amazing and stuff before it was released, but every game title I've seen using it has looked rather bland and uninteresting.

- carpe noctem
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 05:17:38 AM »

hmm.. doesn't work in what way? you can't play the game or you find the game not interesting..

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 06:01:34 AM »

hmm.. doesn't work in what way? you can't play the game or you find the game not interesting..
As in I find it kinda dull - it feels kinda "German" to me smiley

- carpe noctem
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 06:58:25 AM »

As in I find it kinda dull - it feels kinda "German" to me smiley

lol, i don't know what that means.. smiley for the record, the dev studio is based in Scandinavia (maybe Sweden, iirc).

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 12:39:19 PM »

there is a 75% off sale ($4.99) for today only (Dec. 30, 2010). if you need any persuasion, PC Gamer awarded this game, the "Action-Adventure Game of the Year 2010" in their GOTY awards.

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 01:00:46 PM »

^ And I still haven't played it LOL  embarassed

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 01:26:32 PM »

^ And I still haven't played it LOL

it's quite short, you should be able to finish it over the weekend, unless you go hunting for secrets.. Wink

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »

I played the demo and ended up feeling much like f0dder does about the game. I didn't really enjoy it. I didn't even finish the demo.

Pity, it looked good.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »

Pity, it looked good.
The trailers kinda did - actual game didn't.

- carpe noctem
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 10:10:39 PM »

Bought. Even if it may not be as good as I hope for, it will definitely be better than my F:NV Wink

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.045s | Server load: 0.2 ]