Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 30, 2014, 06:41:58 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What special character do you use to have a file sorted at the top?  (Read 8936 times)
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 12:10:11 PM »

Greetings One and All

I use @ and have been known to use @@ and even @@@

Greetings to you too cordowr smiley
that's a good tip - I always thought that was one of those disallowed characters.

Tom
ssoundman
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »

What do you all use to always have a file/folder sort to the bottom?
I've seen people use prefixes like "zzz_"

I use the underscore to put them at the top, and z's at the bottom. It works.

I don't like ! or ~ though for the reasons mentioned above - scripts, etc.

Same here: underscores for the top of the list and z's for the bottom. Works well and I have yet to see any incompatibilities.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 04:27:35 PM »

I use @ and have been known to use @@ and even @@@
I use '@' as well - it looks good  embarassed, and allows you to add more important (ie, lower ascii value) if you realize something is more important. I used to use '#', and settled on '@' when I realize '#' breaks certain stuff (like Windows' .chm viewer - probably because '#' is used for HTML anchor hashtags).

For people who need a tip on sorting order, check the ascii table smiley

- carpe noctem
alxwz
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 04:37:29 PM »

I used to use underscores back in the day (mostly for folders only), but they wouldn't work in the same sort order on my Macs, so I switched to exclamation marks. Those seem to work the same on all platforms. I also use multiple exclamation marks if I need a hierarchy (rarely).
Exclamation marks have the additional advantage of being quite narrow.

And they give me an additional laugh once in a while when other people have to deal with my folder hierarchy.
Nobody seems to recognize the additional character and everyone is rather confused by how everything is sorted cheesy

BTW: Have been away for a while and it's nice to see this place is still lively.
Jimdoria
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 06:17:30 PM »

I put square brackets around the names of shortcuts I want to appear at the top of the file list directly under the folders.

[Thumbdrive Documents]

- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.
superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 11:51:59 PM »

I put square brackets around the names of shortcuts I want to appear at the top of the file list directly under the folders.

[Thumbdrive Documents]
I like this also.  Very clean AND symmetrical!

LittlestMac
Participant

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 05:48:53 AM »

Depending on what I'm doing, I use an exclamation point (majority of the time) or a tilde.  Some file managers don't sort the tilde to the top but (almost?) all sort the exclamation point to the top.

I also use the exclamation point, as it has an ASCII value of 0021. That puts it at the absolute top. The next legal character is the "#" character, which has a value of 0023. These are the workhorses of my file organization.
kenpmason
Supporting Member

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 04:59:07 PM »

I use curly braces to sort to the bottom, that is: { }
notanartist
Supporting Member

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »

I use the @ to put my quick-access stuff at the top of any list.
I use zz to put things at the bottom that I need to access only once in awhile and want to keep those items out of the way of those I use more often--especially helpful for my contacts lists.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.16 ]