topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PIM functions on a Smartphone when no signal or web? Impossible?  (Read 2720 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One of the reasons I prefer classic PDAs to smartphones is that it seems nonsensical to spend $700 a year for a data plan just for the privilege of entering my own data. On top of that, for the rss feeds and web sites I track, I feel like a daily sync to the PDA using something like Plucker or iSilo is plenty timely enough. (iSilo in particular is available on a wide range of PDA platforms, even the newer ones like Android and iPhone.) However I am constantly looking for information that will give me confidence that I can use a modern smartphone without a data plan, since I often see smartphones on ebay for a low price because it only works with a wireless carrier with a not-so-great reputation. And I have been without a PDA for a while, I have had two digitizers gone bad (Palm Tungsten T3 and Dell Axim), and I am incompetent at replacing them. This leads me to believe the newer devices must have more reliable digitizers, which makes sense.

I remember when Palm's new Web OS was coming out, there was an emphasis on not making it a door stop when you didn't have a signal. What I am curious about is if anyone has had any success in using a modern smartphone without a data plan, be it Android, iPhone, WebOS, or whatever else is out there. I am primarily interested in PIM functions: tasks, notes, calendar, contacts, not so much email and obviously that is not going to work anyway without a data connection.

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: PIM functions on a Smartphone when no signal or web? Impossible?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 02:37 AM »
there was an emphasis on not making it a door stop
The modern ones don't become door stops - they become paper weights instead: progress! ;)

MasterGeek

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PIM functions on a Smartphone when no signal or web? Impossible?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 04:25 PM »
A Palm Centro would fit the bill and my 3 year old one still works fine. USB sync works fine with Palm desktop or Outlook but no WiFi, just bluetooth.