ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

build/upgrade or buy/build a new one?

<< < (4/5) > >>

4wd:
As recommended, to get the 2x2GB now, so I CAN expand upon it later, should I upgrade to a 64-bit MoBo.-Jammo the OrganizedFellow (October 19, 2010, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

You've already got a 64bit capable system:

Core 2 Duo E6550

SPECIFICATIONS
Processor Number   E6550
# of Cores   2
# of Threads   2
Clock Speed   2.33 GHz
L2 Cache   4 MB
Bus/Core Ratio   7
FSB Speed   1333 MHz
FSB Parity   No
Instruction Set   64-bit

You need only install a 64bit OS to use it.

Also, you can save another $2 by getting the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade since you already have XP Professional.  An upgrade of XP requires that the Win7 OS be installed from scratch anyway so you might as well save some money.

You also get XP Mode if you want to play with it, (but not BitLocker).  Here's a version comparison.

Bamse:
Well in a crystal ball I can see there will not be any loss later because you will not expand further. The more you spend now the higher "loss" if you will. In future you will change to something else, you already did 1 "expansion" and either your self or media/other people will encourage change as well. So new motherboard, new ram, new cpu and "old" computer becomes no. 2 or is sold. I give you 10% chance for expanding on 2x2gb DDR2. Cost of DDR2 might increase as well, most likely will. Industry punish those who want to buy "old" items. They have no interest in letting you use old hardware with ease.

But besides that see if you can't get confirmation new modules work in your particular motherboard. Ram problems can be hard to fix and probably the only thing that can go wrong with your expansion so check this. Why I said you should be happy G.skill have identical package available today, was not because 4x1gb is better though I think it make more economic sense if tech crystal ball is correct about future. Both Windows and Linux OS have ram tester software build-in so very important. As long as ram works you can get 4x4gb, the more the better :)

Was that Windows you picked not a retail with both 32 and 64bit versions? Of course you should go 64bit today. May be they have better deals like 4wd has been looking for. I would get 64bit OEM for System Builder version for sure, http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand=1149&SubCategory=368&name=Microsoft-Operating-Systems Pro or Ultimate I am not sure of. I you want HOME it is 100$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754 There are no problems with moving that Windows to new computer, is not locked to anything = you get absolutely no value for paying "Retail" full price. Some still think OEM means it is illegal/impossible to move Windows and so will warn against much cheaper versions. I stumble across such statements on Windows forums. Have you heard that? Is BS :) "System Builder" status is what makes it ok and difference to tinkering with a OEM Windows provided by Asus, HP or whatever. Not legal since license is locked to hardware.

mouser:
I'm not sure what Bamse is saying but i think i agree with him  :P

That is to say -- often i think it makes more sense to not spend too much money on upgrading, and instead simply plan to retire an old computer or use it for secondary stuff, and buy a new one when the old one gets too out of date.

So, you may want to strongly consider how much longer it will be before you will get a new PC, and not spend so much on upgrading the old one if it's not going to be too long until that.  Some people prefer to keep upgrading and stick to a working PC for a long time.  Some people don't ever upgrade anything, they simply buy a new PC when the old one becomes obsolete. You have to ask yourself which one are you -- and not pour money into the old machine if you plan to buy a new one soon.

Which is why i would really focus on the things you can do that are the most cost effective and easy upgrades, and I think the memory is surely at the very top of this list.

Bamse:
I mean this ram upgrade will be the last - most likely also last one involving DDR2. So choosing 2gb modules "for future" is just too much logic :)

If you see the point of not wasting money on Retail Windows may be ask those who know about SSD hds about other options, I mean larger. 40gb seems too small for me. With Windows, Adobe stuff, you being developer - don't you think you could use twice that? I don't know benefits of SSD other than what I have read but something to focus on perhaps. Fast bootup and Windows is nice but you also what lightning fast Adobe and whatever you use. 40gb is enough today but what about the future  :P

4wd:
Was that Windows you picked not a retail with both 32 and 64bit versions?-Bamse (October 20, 2010, 03:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

The retail and upgrade versions include both 32bit and 64bit OS DVDs, no need to restrict yourself to 64bit only.

You might find that 32bit is better because you have hardware that has no 64bit drivers, eg. scanner, printer, etc that you can't afford to replace at the moment.  Later when you've updated/replaced them, then you can reinstall with Win7 x64.

@Jammo: What hardware do you have for which no manufacturer provided 64bit drivers exist?

40gb is enough today but what about the future  :P-Bamse (October 20, 2010, 04:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why then, SSDs will be much cheaper and you'll be able to afford to have two!  :P

Personally, I'd still look for a combo deal of Core i5/motherboard/RAM rather than just upgrade your current RAM, (I agree with mouser and bamse), but it comes down to a balancing act of wallet vs need.

Only you can decide.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version