topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: remove objects from photos  (Read 45008 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: remove objects from photos
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 07:50 PM »
OMFG~! That content aware stuff is insane!

This is a VERY quick example:

Screenshot---2011-01-04-,-12_35_06-PM.gif

I made a quick sloppy selection, deleted, and poof. That's amazing for like ZERO work.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 11:39 PM »
Renegade

Which program did you use - Photoshop Elements or some other ?

(and how did you get the above posted image to animate ?)

SKA

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 07:07 PM »
Renegade

Which program did you use - Photoshop Elements or some other ?

(and how did you get the above posted image to animate ?)

SKA

I used Photoshop.

For the animation, I just took screenshots then layered them in Photoshop, created the 3-frame animation, and saved the GIF for it.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 10:26 PM »
My test of using Inpaint on Kalo's images(second image below) was a disaster. I don't know what the problem was. Maybe there wasn't enough background.  I got the best results using Microsoft Paint and a background-colored brush. Given the previous example, Photoshop's content-aware fill might do better. But given the result below, I am doubtful. I did try using Inpaint to duplicate Renegade's results. (I got a screenshot of the first image) The results below aren't quite as good as Renegade's, but close in my opinion. So, I think that even Photoshop couldn't remove the items from those pictures.

testing3.jpg

Apples Inpaint test.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:36 PM by Arizona Hot »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 09:57 AM »
This is a lot of work, and I normally work on much larger images, but if you are willing to give me enough time, I can do the rest for you too.
I'm really impressed with your version of the apples.  What did you use to do this?  The edges are especially impressive (compared to anything I've been able to do).

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 12:32 PM »
Cyberdiva:

I used Inpaint. There is a download link to get it in another thread. Look for it. I was able to get a better version of the apples by zooming in much more, shrinking the red brush to 5 and making multiple inpaint passes.  But, it still looks bad (see below), the beefsteak looks ok and the carrots might be acceptable. As in Renegade's example and my test using Inpaint, you can get good results removing objects from the main body of pictures(see pictures below). Kalo's pictures just don't give good results many times. Forget about the beer and other such pictures.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:37 PM by Arizona Hot »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 02:18 PM »
Thanks, Arizona Hot, for your response.  Actually, though, my question was intended for app103.  The photo she posted (3rd reply in this thread) was considerably better than any other I've seen.  I should say, though, that I was also impressed by your attempt to get rid of the person in the wedding photo.  I have just started to use Inpaint, and when I saw Renegade's version using Photoshop, I tried to see what I could do with Inpaint.  My attempt wasn't nearly as good as yours.  But I'd still love to know how app103 got such a clean, clear rendition of the apples.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Thanks, Arizona Hot, for your response.  Actually, though, my question was intended for app103.  The photo she posted (3rd reply in this thread) was considerably better than any other I've seen.  I should say, though, that I was also impressed by your attempt to get rid of the person in the wedding photo.  I have just started to use Inpaint, and when I saw Renegade's version using Photoshop, I tried to see what I could do with Inpaint.  My attempt wasn't nearly as good as yours.  But I'd still love to know how app103 got such a clean, clear rendition of the apples.

Paintshop Pro, basic tools...mostly the clone tool...and pixel by pixel editing by hand, zooming in & out, over & over. No fancy tricks and tools here, pure skill. (that's why it's a lot of work)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Paintshop Pro, basic tools...mostly the clone tool...and pixel by pixel editing by hand, zooming in & out, over & over. No fancy tricks and tools here, pure skill. (that's why it's a lot of work)
Thanks very much, April, for your response.  Being lazy, I had hoped for a magic bullet, but I'm also glad to know that such impressive results are possible with skill and hard work.   :Thmbsup:

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Done in Photoshop, quick 2 minute edit

renegade 1.jpg

Continued for a further 2 minutes

Renegade 2.jpg

4 Minutes work...results in this...imagine what could be done with 34 minutes :)

**edit**

Forgot to mention...no plugins have been used...this was purely by eye.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:32 PM by Stephen66515 »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 07:51 PM »
Wow. That's amazing. 4 minutes? Jeez.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 07:58 PM »

the 2nd set of 2 minutes was simply removing the cyclist and reconstructing the bus...theres a whole bunch of stuff that could be fixed with what I did, but visually, from a distance, you cant really see them.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 08:05 PM »

the 2nd set of 2 minutes was simply removing the cyclist and reconstructing the bus...theres a whole bunch of stuff that could be fixed with what I did, but visually, from a distance, you cant really see them.

Really, THIS is more like what computing should be -- the computer doing the work that you want/intend for it to do.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 08:11 PM »

Really, THIS is more like what computing should be -- the computer doing the work that you want/intend for it to do.

The only problem with that, is a computer cant "see" what should be in the place of something, or "feel" what should be in its place...For instance, that Content Aware mearly places pixels from around the object, inwards, and doesnt always do the best of jobs.

For what it took me to hand-fix that image, would have taken me far longer using Content Aware, making sure my selection was precise, and then cleaning everything else up.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 08:19 PM »
How did you do it? Clone & pixel adjust?

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 08:23 PM »
While Steve is great at removing objects, this is what I am good at doing in about 5 minutes...

You have heard of the honeymoon you will never forget? Here's the one you'll never remember.

paris.jpg

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2011, 08:27 PM »
While Steve is great at removing objects, this is what I am good at doing in about 5 minutes...

You have heard of the honeymoon you will never forget? Here's the one you'll never remember.
 (see attachment in previous post)

Kudos on scaling :)

Heh, thats something I have been looking into, seems fairly straightforward. could never be bothered looking for a background haha.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2011, 06:24 AM »
The new Zoner 13 Pro seems to be quite able:

z1.gif
z2.gif

http://www.zoner.com...w-new-features#power

Multi-exposures

* Multi-exposures help you do the impossible—use the new multi-exposure tools to clear away tourists from a landmark, create a noise-free picture of a dim room, prepare HDR without a tripod, and more!
    * Support for 10-bit monitors—Zoner Photo Studio is the first program of its kind to support the new 10-bit display technology, distinguishing one billion colors so you can perfectly see even the finest color changes.
-Zoner 13 Pro

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2011, 06:47 AM »
They've chosen a very poor example to use as a demo, one photo with people and then one without - why go to the trouble of doing a composite?

If they'd demonstrated by using 10 pictures of Piazzo San Marco, Venice, taken at 5 minute intervals from 10am on a sunny morning that they could remove all the tourists......now that would be impressive.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2011, 12:16 PM »
They've chosen a very poor example to use as a demo, one photo with people and then one without - why go to the trouble of doing a composite?

If they'd demonstrated by using 10 pictures of Piazzo San Marco, Venice, taken at 5 minute intervals from 10am on a sunny morning that they could remove all the tourists......now that would be impressive.

It's not clear what exactly they're doing (they dont give much details) - i- from the name, I would presume, as you do, that you need a few pics to work with.
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2011, 05:11 PM »
It's not clear what exactly they're doing (they dont give much details) - i- from the name, I would presume, as you do, that you need a few pics to work with.

Actually, it occured to me after I went to bed that what they've done is take 5 pictures of the same boy in different positions and then composited them to remove him.

I originally thought it was 5 different boys, (a bigger picture might have helped), dressed the same  :-[

I still think it would have been better if they could have shown the originals and then the subsequent composite using a flash demo.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 10:07 AM »
For what it took me to hand-fix that image, would have taken me far longer using Content Aware, making sure my selection was precise, and then cleaning everything else up.

Stephen I think you missed this query (below) - I'm curious too :)

How did you do it? Clone & pixel adjust?
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Actually, it occured to me after I went to bed that what they've done is take 5 pictures of the same boy in different positions and then composited them to remove him.

I completely missed that! -
they also composited them to make the "before" picture, which just adds to the confusion :)
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 08:24 AM »
I just had to try what App did lol...heres my attempt...not perfect scaling, but I dont think its bad for a first attempt.

windsor-castlep66.jpg

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2011, 10:23 AM »
That's not bad.

My scaling isn't perfect, either.

Take a look at the people next to the tree on the right. Compare their height to the height of the tree. Now take a look at the people on the left and the closest tree. Compare the height of the tree on the left to the couple in the middle. It's a bit off. They should have been smaller, but if I made them any smaller you might not have been able to tell who they were, at all.

I really couldn't scale it properly and retain recognizability, so I just made sure they weren't level with the existing people and were a little closer in the foreground than the tree on the left.