topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Username & Password Logging Program  (Read 3914 times)

davcom

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Username & Password Logging Program
« on: October 22, 2010, 06:22 PM »
Does anyone know of a cheap or free Username & Password Logging program at all ?

Not the sort that (necessarily) logs all attempts to access any system but something that would help me keep a track of all the forums, mailing lists, newsgroups, online subscriptions, any usernames/passwords used in any browser. POP3, FTP, etc etc - you get the picture.

I've done several hours looking at network snooping and at keylogger programs, some of which will even use your laptops webcam to take snapshots of who's using it but they are way overkill for the concept in mind.

The idea is NOT to record any part of any conversation or multiple _failed_ attempts to log in, just those specific fields that relate to when I had to put in the Username and Password and possibly associated fields such as security question fields (but not Captcha) that were VALID. To have software maintain a neat and tidy listing of my unique and valid access codes would be a godsend. (I have and still continue to use KeePass but are there any more automated systems out there ?) Browsers for instance will ask if you wish to store usernames/passwords but how about a system that looks across all your access codes for all your software ?

The possibility for abuse of this by installing on someone elses system is high but looking at it from the usefulness point of view to run only on my machines I'd be QUITE happy to have some secure software to monitor and manage EVERY access code I need to get into the heaps of systems I've somehow managed to sign myself up for, or have contracts to access for maintenance. How many times have you had to use the "Did you forget your password" option for any given website ? (You know you have it 'somewhere' but where ? OR, as is quite common, because it does take a discipline to always write down your access codes and in the SAME system/software/electronic or physical notepad, did you either forget to write it down because "you'll remember" or you just didn't have the time to jot it down ? How about getting into your own websites ?

Just throwing this into DC because I have read acres of fantastic threads and very concise threads too, on software thats available for other tasks. In fact I can't think  of any other site that does software comparisons as good as DC (or comes up with so many good alternatives to investigate).

I'm very busy with my work so please don't expect responses too often but I will check in from time to time and see what everyones been able to come up with that might give some leads.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Username & Password Logging Program
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:30 PM »
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:44 PM by Josh »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:42 PM »
Would only work for sites sending passwords in plaintext (with deeper hooking and man-in-the-middle trickery SSL connections can be monitored as well). A lot of protocols don't send your passwords in plaintext (or something that plaintext can be derived from), whether they use normal or SSL connections. And not everything gets sent using the HTTP protocol (plus sites can do HTTP and use nonstandard ports) - you might have to end up looking at a lot of traffic unless you want to limit snooping to certain programs. And then there's the issue of determining what might be a user/pass combo... can be done for dog-standard websites using normal html forms, but if login is done via AJAX calls or non-http stuff, well...

You're better off trying to remember your passwords :), possibly storing them in an encrypted format (*cough* fSekrit *cough*), and adding them to your browser (or 3rd party tool) "known passwords" thing.
- carpe noctem

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 08:20 PM »
I use lastpass to log into sites .. but my password manager of last resort is KEEPASS PASSWORD SAFE
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

davcom

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 01:32 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

For now, I've installed LastPass and created an account there. Will give it time and see how it works out.

Interesting to note that LastPass by default 'removes' (intercepts ?) the IE, FF & Chrome password managers in favour of its own manager and an encrypted database
(only found that out because I always check out the Custom install options for any software being installed and that option was ticked by default).

f0dder : Have used Evernote for many years (and encrypted the pswds and such) but I'd like to look at more automated systems that manage logins rather than note taking s/w. Thanks all the same *cough*. (I never progressed beyond Evernote v2.1.327 which was the very last version that ran only on ones own PC. I participated in a beta that included trialling mobile phone connections but never fully liked the idea of all my passwords being offsite. Now I've signed up for LastPass... go figure !)

Cheers.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Two solutions (payware) :
  • TK8S, very versatile and powerful, not really integrated to browsers but with a nice autotype feature that works will almost all apps (also has copy/paste)
  • 1password for windows.  I bought the beta at 1/2 price, because is syncs with MacOS & IOS4
I am now using more and more 1password, but I don't really know why.
.merle1.