ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I am looking for a Vocational Test... any suggestions?

<< < (2/2)

sword:
CodeTRUCKER,
Re. "...vast array of possible vocations...":
I found the book, "Dictionary of Occupational Titles" very helpful for specifics.
Obviously, the vast majority of occupations can be ignored or dismissed. The
trick is to narrow the field and offer new alternatives for choices.

Re. "...online evaluation tool...", "...create what I need...":
Interests -
- expressed interests of children and adolescents don't provide useful predictive measures.
- - They are usually very limited in scope and/or unrealistic - 'hockey player' 'game designer'.
- - There are trivial and spectacular rare exceptions - 'wanted to be an astronomer since age five'.
- measures: scientific; social welfare; literary; concrete (things vs people); record-keeping;
  social contact; artistic.
- actual experience would be expected to have more weight than expressed interests.
- an online interest inventory could, in theory, produce a 'self-perception' that might be compared
  to that of others. [I'm not aware of published lists of interests by occupation.]
Caution: The relationship between activities and interests is very weak. It is widely believed,
but unreliable to assume, that a person does what he likes because he is good at it.

Re.  "...further offer questionnaires...":
Selection for job openings, admission to higher education and the higher-valued training programs
seems to be increasingly dependent on evaluations of social activities and past experience. If you
could get access to the weighing schemes used it might provide the basis for other forms.
Cheers, sword

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version