ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

LogMeIn HamachiĀ²

<< < (2/3) > >>

CWuestefeld:
Since this is working at the level of a VPN connection, I assume that it's usable to establish a Remote Desktop connection to the machine at the other end?

How does it affect TCP/IP routing? Specifically, I'm wondering what happens if I try to use this to connect from work to home. If I have a connection open to my home computer, will my network stack still know that work-internal traffic should not travel through the Hamachi VPN, but stay within work?

KynloStephen66515:
Since this is working at the level of a VPN connection, I assume that it's usable to establish a Remote Desktop connection to the machine at the other end?

How does it affect TCP/IP routing? Specifically, I'm wondering what happens if I try to use this to connect from work to home. If I have a connection open to my home computer, will my network stack still know that work-internal traffic should not travel through the Hamachi VPN, but stay within work?
-CWuestefeld (October 17, 2010, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

No RDC options in the version I reviewed, but you _can_ connect to public shared folders on the target machine.  That is the only real connection you have to the other machines, if the setting on said machine(s) is enabled.

Josh:
Hamachi does not come with RDP built-in, however it works fine using the MS Client from any XP/Vista/7/Server machine. I am able to rdp into all of the machines in my hamachi network.

f0dder:
How does it affect TCP/IP routing? Specifically, I'm wondering what happens if I try to use this to connect from work to home. If I have a connection open to my home computer, will my network stack still know that work-internal traffic should not travel through the Hamachi VPN, but stay within work?-CWuestefeld (October 17, 2010, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Haven't tested this, but computers participating in a hamachi VLAN get a separate IP (using a virtual network adapter? can't remember!) in a relatively crazy range - like 5.122.21.181 (random IP from google images result) - so normal traffic should be routed normally, and only VLAN related traffic should go through the hamachi tunnel.

The real interesting question would be how it cooperates with other VPN solutions - you're probably SOL if you use Cisco :)

Josh:
Does anyone know if there are plans an android version of hamachi?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version