topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Bvckup  (Read 62352 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bvckup
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2011, 06:00 PM »
I just put Bvckup on my Netbook and ran into a (frustratingly) frequent problem with running software on a Netbook: Some of the option screens are too tall for my limited resolution (1024x600) so I can't access the options that go off the bottom of the screen.

Since you're running the same graphics chipset as the AAO, try Downscaling Switcher, (it was written for the Wind but seems to work on any netbook with the Intel 950 chipset) - it'll switch the screen into a compressed 1024x768 mode.

You need to turn off the Hide modes that this monitor cannot display under Display Properties->Advanced->Monitor

Attached below because I couldn't find a working link quickly.

You could also just switch the screen to 1024x768 and scroll it up by moving the mouse to the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:02 PM by 4wd »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2011, 11:24 PM »
Since you're running the same graphics chipset as the AAO, try Downscaling Switcher, (it was written for the Wind but seems to work on any netbook with the Intel 950 chipset) - it'll switch the screen into a compressed 1024x768 mode.

Thanks. My netbook is currently booted into Linux right now, but I've got it downloaded for the next time I'm in Windows. :Thmbsup:

apankrat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • swapped.cc
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2011, 12:41 AM »
Please fix this.

Yup, will do, it is already on a list.
Alex

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2011, 12:29 PM »
Am I the only one who can't ever get it to exclude the files I want it to?

For example, I'm backing up some files, but the program that creates the files automatically makes it's own backups filename.bak, so I want to exclude all *.bak files from all directories and subdirectories. But for some reason it keeps copying over the *.bak files.

apankrat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • swapped.cc
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Am I the only one who can't ever get it to exclude the files I want it to?

For example, I'm backing up some files, but the program that creates the files automatically makes it's own backups filename.bak, so I want to exclude all *.bak files from all directories and subdirectories. But for some reason it keeps copying over the *.bak files.

Location needs to be * and the Name should be *.bak, like so:

Or do you have it set up like this and it is not working?
Alex

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Location needs to be * and the Name should be *.bak, like so:

Or do you have it set up like this and it is not working?

I can't remember how I had it set up. My HDD had some problems and I recently reinstalled Windows and haven't gotten around to getting Bvckup back on here. But I think the problem was that I was leaving Location blank.

Thanks for the help. Now that I have a solution to this I won't be so unwilling to start getting Bvckup set up again. :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2011, 04:54 PM »
I just noticed this. Why does Bvckup install into my User directory? What's wrong with C:\Program Files\ ? Or why not put it somewhere like AppData or something?

apankrat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • swapped.cc
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2011, 07:49 PM »
That's because it is neither Data per se nor does it make sense to install into a system-wide admin-only directory when the installer is run under a regular user account. Unfortunately there is no standard directory for placing user's binary files, so I made a guess at what other devs like myself could use and settled on %UserProfile%/Program Files. It seemed like a reasonable location to drop binaries that would be used by the installing user only.

By the way, if the setup is run under the Admin account, it will default to C:\Program Files.
Alex

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2011, 12:55 AM »
I'm using the admin account. It never popped up UAC to ask permission to install to C:\Program Files\. I had to run it as administrator and then manually tell it to install to Program Files, IIRC.

But that's not important.

I'm getting really frustrated trying to get a specific backup to work. Basically, I want to backup all of my game data from games that save into My Documents.

So I made a new backup, told it to be include only selected files and folders. Then I manually typed in, one by one, each folder (subdirectory of source folder) I wanted it to backup. That took a few minutes and was time consuming, but had to be done. Then I let it run.

It copied every single file and every single subdirectory from the source directory. :mad:

So I went and looked at the settings for the backup and somehow it had switched itself back to backup "Everything with optional exceptions." So I clicked the radio button to change it back to backup only "Selected files and directories" and when I did that all of my filters were immediately removed from the list. It completely blanked them out.

So I decided to do a little test and only tell it to backup a couple of specific directories instead of typing them all out again only to have it break again. So I typed a couple out and it started copying directories and files that I didn't explicitly include.

So then at the top of the list I put a filter to exclude everything (blank Location, * for Name). Then I tested a couple directories and it appeared to work. So then I typed in the rest of the directories I wanted it to include and it started copying over more directories that I didn't tell it to.

I've been messing around with this for way too long and I can't get it to work. It doesn't seem to make any sense. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of when it will decide to work and when it will decide to start copying things over it shouldn't.

Here's a screengrab of part of my list. What am I doing wrong?

Broken Bvckup.pngBvckup

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2011, 10:25 AM »
Yeah, I just tested it again on a smaller backup. The first time I setup a backup to copy only specific files and folders, it will revert back to copying all files and folders. Then when I go into the settings to change it back to copying only specific files and folders it will erase all the filters.

Buggy. I hope this is fixed in Bvckup 2. ;)

apankrat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • swapped.cc
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2011, 10:32 AM »
Weird. Let me reproduce it here.
Alex

apankrat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • swapped.cc
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2011, 02:41 PM »
Yup, a bug.

The problem is in the code that creates a new backup job upon clicking "Create" in the "New Backup" dialog. It basically ignores the selection between "Everything with exceptions" and "Selected files and folders."

The problem is not there when existing backup job is modified, it correctly picks up the choice.

The workaround(s):

1. When adding a new backup job, configure everything except for the filters, set it to "run manually" (so that it won't run right away) and create it. Then open it for editing (right-click -> Properties), add filters and switch from manual to required running mode.

2. If the backup is already configured, then open Bvckup settings folder (Menu > Options > Preferences, click Open next to respective field), exit Bvckup, find the .ini corresponding to the backup job (open .ini's and look at the Name field), change FilterDef from 1 to 0, save, and restart Bvckup.

Thanks for the comments and the follow-up, Deozaan. Let me see if I can push out an update with the fix.
Alex