ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera to support extensions in V11

(1/4) > >>

Josh:
Opera Software, known for its popular mobile browser announced today that its desktop web browser will receive extension support in the up and coming version, Opera 11.

At the Up North Web press conference today, situated in Opera’s hometown of Oslo, Norway, Lars Boilesen, CEO of Opera announced new ideas which he believes will be the “future of the web”.

In a blog post on MyOpera information about the extension support was posted. The extensions will be based on the W3C widget specifications, considered to be an Open Standard effort, and developers will be able to create them using HTML5, CSS and JavaScript with support for APIs. Opera admitted the extensions coming, will be similar to extensions in browsers such as Google Chrome and Firefox. If you’re a developer and are interested in developing extensions for Opera, it was also announced that once the Opera 11 Alpha is released, the needed information to develop and publish extensions will be posted on Opera’s Developer page.
--- End quote ---

Source

Are they too little too late? I guess they finally realized you cannot escape the fact that people WANT extensions.

f0dder:
Oh wauw.

In other news:

Josh:
My favorite quote comes to mind...

"You don't need anything more, opera has everything built in"

f0dder:
"You don't need anything more, opera has everything built in"-Josh (October 14, 2010, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Which is one of the reasons I stopped using it - wasn't all that fast anymore, crashed too often, and I really didn't want ftp, mail, torrents and whatnot built into my browser: I had more suitable apps for that.

Lashiec:
My favorite quote comes to mind...

"You don't need anything more, opera has everything built in"
-Josh (October 14, 2010, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which now is more true than ever :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version