ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera to support extensions in V11

<< < (3/4) > >>

f0dder:
I don't use opera much but looks like it is good news for those who want to use extension like in firefox. -mahesh2k (October 21, 2010, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, except that Opera is probably too late to hop onto the bandwagon - FireFox probably has the majority of the devs, and unless Opera have been pretty clever about their implementation, there's probably too much effort involved in supporting both browsers for a plugin writer (disclaimer: I haven't looked at either browser's plugin/extension implementation, all I know is firefox uses javascript/XUL).

Darwin:
All it will take for me to seriously consider Opera is support for Roboform. Well, that and a light footprint. Firefox and IE both work well but the RAM/CPU usage drives me nuts! I know, I could just forego the pleasure of tabbed browsing but c'mon! It's ALMOST 2011!

Tuxman:
Hm, now Opera has another idea that was in every other browser, including IE, for years... yawn...
(Not to mention: the huge amount of security issues and website incompatibilities.)

Crapware.

Lashiec:
Yeah, except that Opera is probably too late to hop onto the bandwagon - FireFox probably has the majority of the devs, and unless Opera have been pretty clever about their implementation, there's probably too much effort involved in supporting both browsers for a plugin writer (disclaimer: I haven't looked at either browser's plugin/extension implementation, all I know is firefox uses javascript/XUL).
-f0dder (October 22, 2010, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Opera's approach to extensions is similar to the one used by Chrome, so it's unlikely a Firefox extension developer will support both approaches, although that may vary based on such extension reliance on XUL.

Darwin:
Every day or two I check to see if Siber Systems have jumped on this. No joy, so far... However, they have released a version of Roboform to work with Chrome, so I remain optimistic!

As I stated above, the one area in which Opera can shine and thus woo users away from Firefox, IE, and Chrome is in its footprint. If they can continue to release versions that are lightweight and fast and which will run extensions such as Roboform (for me, the only "must have" browser extension), they have a fighting chance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version