topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "Search Everything" with saved searches would be cool.  (Read 14280 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Search Everything" with saved searches would be cool.
« on: October 14, 2010, 12:40 PM »
We all know and love the Search Everything program.  It's awesome because it's super-fast, not bloated, and does the job well.  The one thing I'm missing from it is the ability to do some kind of saved searches.  For example, I'd like a one-click access to my main categories of files: music, videos, documents, etc.  It would be very beneficial to be able to save searches that are used a lot.  For Everything, i often have to go into the preferences to turn drives on/off when I don't want them to be scanned.  Even though it's fast, it does take a while to index several drives with several terabytes of data.  So it would be more efficient to have saved searches that are very easily accessible.

Does anyone know of a possible solution?  This problem reminded me of Archivarius.  In Archivarius, I like how you can set up different databases and choose the one you want to search in a simple drop-down box on the main window.  We need something like that for Everything.  I guess I can just use Archivarius, but I don't want a full indexer, just a filename indexer like Everything.

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Search Everything" with saved searches would be cool.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 03:07 PM »
I stick to LOCATE.

serach everything doesn't have any interface to allow you to select a folder .... you have to type it in as far as I know. This greatly decreases it's uslefulness to me
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 03:23 PM »
I stick to LOCATE.

serach everything doesn't have any interface to allow you to select a folder .... you have to type it in as far as I know. This greatly decreases it's uslefulness to me

Yep, same here. In Locate32 I have presets for Music Collection, Picture Collection, Video Collection, etc.

Works well when you want to narrow the search and not see everything.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 04:51 PM »
@superboyac:

Try version 1.2.1.451a from theirs forum. It's labeled as alpha, but it stays like this for some 11 months, so it's probably the last version ever available. Anyway, it's quite stable, I'm using it for some time without any problems.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 05:21 PM »
We all know and love the Search Everything program.  It's awesome because it's super-fast, not bloated, and does the job well.  The one thing I'm missing from it is the ability to do some kind of saved searches.  For example, I'd like a one-click access to my main categories of files: music, videos, documents, etc.  It would be very beneficial to be able to save searches that are used a lot.

Note, this is with Everything 1.2.1.451a.

Everything does have Saved Searches:
1) Type in your search terms and then hit Control+Shift+F.
2) Give it a name and then access it through: Search->Filters->.......

Addendum: Also, you can create a filter that is only a path, eg. ProgramData\, when you select that filter anything you type in the search box will restrict the search to that path.
That also works in reverse, eg. select the Picture filter, (default: Control+7), and then type in a path, eg. winsxs\.

For Everything, i often have to go into the preferences to turn drives on/off when I don't want them to be scanned.  Even though it's fast, it does take a while to index several drives with several terabytes of data.

Everything is always running here, so my database is always up to date - are you saying that you only run the program on demand so that it has to completely rescan all drives for changes?

EDIT: yksyks beat me to it :P
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:44 PM by 4wd »

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 07:03 AM »
apparently Search Everything does not list links (windows hard links), and I see no option to include those files in the search. These are important when searching for files within the windows directory.
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 10:21 AM »
apparently Search Everything does not list links (windows hard links), and I see no option to include those files in the search. These are important when searching for files within the windows directory.

From the forum here:
"Everything" will also only show physical NTFS files.

With Windows Vista or later there are a few hard links in your system directory which may not be indexed.

and here:
In "Everything" "objects" refer to physical NTFS files and folders.

Other programs may report more items such as shell items and hard links or less items such as hidden NTFS folders.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 01:12 PM »
I stick to LOCATE.

I used Locate32 for years, since I liked the locate command on Linux and tried it. On XP it's great.  But on Vista and Windows7 man it would just busy my HD so I couldn't even use it.  I'd see my external drive light up for minutes and go into task manager to find Explorer was test opening every file on the drive.  The System Folder Change notification I assume.  That killed it for me.  Everything Search doesn't have that built in bogging.

I haven't tried Locate in a bit since I'm happy with Everything Search. I hope they updated the notification mechanism because otherwise it's a nice program.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:15 PM by MilesAhead »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 06:30 PM »
@superboyac:

Try version 1.2.1.451a from theirs forum. It's labeled as alpha, but it stays like this for some 11 months, so it's probably the last version ever available. Anyway, it's quite stable, I'm using it for some time without any problems.

Their forum seems to be down. Does anyone have this file handy please?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Here ya go.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 06:57 PM »
Ah, that's excellent. Thank you, 4wd!

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 08:32 AM »
One more thing I have notice with Locate is that it will find hard links .... searcheverything doesn't seem to do that

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 02:24 PM »
I'm now running Everything version 1.21.452a. Don't ask where that info/announcement is on the voidtools site. I've no idea :huh:--never could find it.

I took the 1.21.451 download link provided here and substituted .452 in place of .451. Voila! The newest version exists. Why do we have to treasure hunt for the latest version of this fine software? :tellme:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:33 PM by sajman99 »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 04:18 PM »
I took the 1.21.451 download link provided here and substituted .452 in place of .451.

Thanks for sharing that thought  :up:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Took me awhile to figure out where to make the substitution. Almost like a secret handshake.  Looks like they need a, er, search engine, for the web site. :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 09:20 PM »
Like this one: Search results
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 04:46 AM by 4wd, Reason: Stupid session ID »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Took me awhile to figure out where to make the substitution. Almost like a secret handshake.  Looks like they need a, er, search engine, for the web site. :)

Well, you can't have everything  ;)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 02:30 AM »
I recommend setting everything back to its previous state.
http://forum.voidtoo...c.php?f=2&t=1052

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 12:07 PM »
Hmmm...thanks for the links. Surprising lack of information on the site. Wonder what the supposed problem with 1.2.1.452 was? :tellme:

Kinda hard to hide everything, but they did a pretty good job. ;)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Hmmm...thanks for the links. Surprising lack of information on the site. Wonder what the supposed problem with 1.2.1.452 was? :tellme:

Kinda hard to hide everything, but they did a pretty good job. ;)

It is weird the way they do things.  I could see if they had contributor-only betas or something.  But this stuff is just hidden.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 01:27 PM »
Took me awhile to figure out where to make the substitution. Almost like a secret handshake.  Looks like they need a, er, search engine, for the web site. :)

Well, you can't have everything  ;)
-cranioscopical (April 05, 2011, 09:50 PM)

Trouble is you seem to be literally correct.  Everything is exactly what I can't have! And I mean Everything!!!! Dang!!