ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to quickly autonumber text lists?

(1/8) > >>

superboyac:
I'm looking for efficient ways to autonumber any kind of text list (in other words, I'm not looking for a file renamer).  Often when I write, I make lists.  I number the lists manually.  This is because the autonumbering features in Word are bad.  And I also number things in a lot of other programs manually.  So I need a general text-only way to autonumber lists.

I tried TextMonkey.  It has autonumbering features.  The problem with it is that I can't specify what characters (or tabs) to isnert between the number and the actual sentence.  I need to be able to control that.  Sometimes I want one space, sometimes two, sometimes a tab, sometimes a bunch of weird symbols.

I'm currently looking at the different text editors.  Sometimes, each program has cool, nifty features built in like this.  I haven't found one that can do autonumbering yet.  Can anyone recommend anything?

cranioscopical:
Might look at Boxer

or does that look as if it will give you the same problem as you have with Text Monkey?

Can you do something with Clipboard Help+Spell's template stuff?

lanux128:
PSPad has this support as well..

Numbering
This option allows you to insert numbering at the start of every line in the file or every selected line.

The values marked 3 in the picture above show you how your numbering will look when applied.

The value entered in the box marked 4 in the picture is used as the starting value.

The value entered in the box marked 5 in the picture determines how many characters will be used for the numbering. The numbers are left-padded with zeros.

The character(s) entered in the boxed marked 6 above are used to separate the numbering characters from the text on the line.

--- End quote ---

mouser:
nice thread, i have to bookmark this as i will surely need it in the future.  sounds like pspad (free) to the rescue.

AndyM:
Often when I write, I make lists.  I number the lists manually.
-superboyac (October 13, 2010, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

out of curiousity, what software do you use to write the lists?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version