ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I have a very hard announcement to make

<< < (5/8) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Sorry to hear of your frustration and pain.

Don't think that you are alone (or even unusual). I think most people have dreams that aren't fulfilled and suffer from similar feelings at times in their in their life - I know I certainly have.

I spent many many years teaching and loved it but then found myself unemployed or only partially employed after moving to another part of the UK. I spent years trying to get back into teaching and holding on to that dream but actually the act of letting go of the dream allowed me to push on new doors - I spent 5 years working as an Outdoor Ed instructor which I thoroughly enjoyed (until the wet and cold and low pay made me decide to move on again) and now I am running my own small business. If someone had told me 15 years ago what to expect over the last 10 years I would have thought they were mad but actually letting go of the original idea was that catalyst that let other things happen.

For now leave the IDE forget about programming and look for new things that can inspire you = earning a living is important but it is only a part of life - make sure you have other things that bring happiness and enthusisam.

Last you don't have to be a programmer to enjoy and be a part of these forums (I haven't written a program in over 10 years though I am still full of intentions) - so don't be a stranger!

vixay:
First, what you have accomplished can be seen as an example for many young people here. It is more than what many have done.

I don't often think about how some members are so older than me here. When reading posts I automatically assume they are around my age... bizarre huh? Or maybe I just follow the logic of the post and not try to reconstruct a real person behind those thoughts as you would do face to face.

I don't know why you'd say that you are not where you need to be as a programmer as your applications have clearly shown that you possess enough to solve various computer problems. But then your goals might have been a lot bigger, and that is what I want to know. Since I hardly have any goals of mine, I like to spy on other people's goals ! :)
What level would you need to get a permanent employment near where you leave? Do you have an objective way to measure that?

ecaradec:
You've made a lot to bring warmth to DC and at so many places over the internet app. It's ok to move away from times to times, enjoy your life and the people around you. This is the most important thing in life. Sometimes building things for others is just painful, because you just forget the love you have for it. You're doing the right decision if you feel like this right now.

I hope you'll be ok wherever you go next, and if you change your mind, come back, we'll be happy to see you again.

Renegade:
... (I haven't written a program in over 10 years though I am still full of intentions)...
-Carol Haynes (October 14, 2010, 03:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

If your intentions are good, then you're on the road to Hell. Which is good because I could use the company~! :P

:D Just couldn't resist that~!

Carol Haynes:
LOL - I'm on that road for many reasons ...  :tease:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version