ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I have a very hard announcement to make

<< < (3/8) > >>

y0himba:
Insert what everyone else has said here, +1.

I commend you on a solid and brave decision.  Your example should be followed, as you are setting the bar for yourself and working towards the future.  I wish you only the best in your endeavors.

Stoic Joker:
You set forth to learn a skill, and best I can tell, you have accomplished that. Perhaps the rest of the plan wasn't flawless...that's okay. This is not a failure, you are merely choosing to stop doing something that is no longer fun. This is a wise decision, and one I have made in the past on more occasions than I care to admit.

Your presence and opinion here are valued, and will always be welcome.

kyrathaba:
App, I think the first thing to say is that all of us here support you
--- End quote ---

+1 to that. 

Hope you won't leave the forum.  Sounds like there are many here who care about you!

As someone who has, in the past, struggled with clinical depression, I can tell you that there is always light at the end of the tunnel.  Surround yourself with friends and family, and any help you need.

daddydave:
Do what ever you need to do, I can only echo what others have said regarding your value to this community and that you should be confident in whatever decisions you make.

It has been a difficult road for me, full of obstacles I wouldn't have had if I had started out when I was much younger, had the money for a proper education, etc. etc. etc.
--- End quote ---

Possibly, but I graduated from college with honors in Computer Information Systems with full intention of getting my pick of programming jobs, but after college I wasn't the sort people wanted to hire apparently, and it has taken me a couple decades to come to terms with the fact I will always be a hobbyist programmer at best. And no one is real life is supportive of this hobby when I have tried to code things on my own, so I have a file of things I have abandoned, maybe I will get to them when I retire at 80, if my mind is still good. It's really hard to abandon this hobby, though. I've abandoned it several times.

Armando:
I am sorry, but when the sight of my IDE makes me cry, it's time to stop.
-app103 (October 12, 2010, 09:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely.
I'm sure many of us can relate to that sort of pain.
I left my PhD. Studies 2-3 years ago (age : 34) because I wasn't going anywhere (Darwin knows parts of the story...). Like Renegade I also lost my relationship at the time...

All this also allowed me to see life in a different way, and it had profound and positive results in the end. I'm now working on various new and even more stimulating projects.

This is what I wish for you : that this gap you created will allow new fun events and activities (and even money) to happen... And that you will take the time to feel and make space for what's truly important to you, for what you value most.

Each thing in its own time.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version