ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

EditPad Pro 7 - released

<< < (5/13) > >>

widgewunner:
...and the Magic version requires no RegEx syntax knowledge! All the power of RegEx without the pain.-Carol Haynes (October 14, 2010, 03:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
Regex is like a very powerful complex weapon - you better learn precisely how it operates and use it very carefully or you will shoot your foot off!

The only guaranteed way to use regex safely and effectively is to spend the time it takes to really learn them. For that, there is: Mastering Regular Expressions by Jeffrey Friedl. I can honestly say that this is the most useful book I have ever read. (I was a software engineer for 20 somthing years before I took the plunge into regex - reading this book (4 times so far), has literally changed my life very much for the better.)

I use RegexBuddy all the time but have no need for the RegexMagic product.

Carol Haynes:
RegEx Magic is worth a look if you are, like me, clueless and can't be bothered to learn RegEx. I have had copies of Buddy and Magic for a long time but I find Buddy still requires you to know about what you are doing more.

My problem is that I use RegEx so rarely that every time I need to use it I have to start from scratch. RegEx Magic is designed to let you make RegEx expressions without learning RegEx itslef - which suits me.

If you haven't tried RegEx Magic download the trial and give it a whirl.

steeladept:
Okay, so honest question here, because I just don't know.  I use TextPad at work because they bought a site license for it.  At home I use NotePad++ right now.  What makes EditPad Pro different/better from these two?

Just to start you out on one of my complaints - TextPad is very nice, but fairly expensive for individual use, and isn't really updated much. I understand the engine may be feature complete, but they could always keep up with various clip libraries, etc. to show continued involvement.  Many of the newest clips date back to 2004 timeframe!  So at least this is active.  Anything else?

Tuxman:
EditPad has always been a great editor, but I think that the JGsoft products are a bit too pricey for us "normal" consumers at all.
(That's why I purged anything related to it years ago.)

Anyway, +1 for the matching regex thingy...

superboyac:
I love EditPad Pro as well. I have a lifetime license for UltraEdit but I much, much prefer EditPad Pro - so much so that I recently uninstalled edit-32, despite the lifetime license. I can't quite put my finger on why I prefer EditPad Pro... I suppose that if pressed I'd point to the GUI, though.
-Darwin (October 13, 2010, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I dabble with all the different editors just for fun.  I think EditPad is also becoming my preferred editor.  It all comes together very nicely.  It's clear that the author has that great feel for flexibility, simplicity, aesthetics, etc.  I used to be big on Emeditor, which is still good, but I just liked that it was fast more than anything else.  Ultraedit is very good, but a little big and klunky.  I use Notepad++ primarily, since it's free and is pretty darn good.  But if I were to pay for one, I think I would get Editpad.  i just like it more and more and more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version