ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google testing cars that drive themselves...

<< < (4/4)

kyrathaba:
There are multiple possible reasons for failure, and until every single one of these has been addressed I don't they should be allowed on public highways.
--- End quote ---

Same can be said of people ;)

I would trust the Google car in its present state (with a human behind the wheel just in case) far more than the majority of motorists around every day
--- End quote ---

+1

Perry Mowbray:
I think once apon a time with aircraft many of the fault remediation processes were manual, but now they are mechanical often controlled and/or initiated by software.

As this develops I can't see a reason why the same can't happen with motor vehicles.

Shades:
I believe it was Ryan Air (or other 'price-fighter') who wants to get rid of the co-pilot, because the auto-landing systems on passenger airplanes are so reliable and quite sophisticated.

Granted, a car requires a lot more sophistication because of the nature of traffic it is used in. But I would not mind having one of those auto-piloted cars...especially in the congested traffic hours!

KynloStephen66515:
I believe it was Ryan Air (or other 'price-fighter') who wants to get rid of the co-pilot, because the auto-landing systems on passenger airplanes are so reliable and quite sophisticated.

Granted, a car requires a lot more sophistication because of the nature of traffic it is used in. But I would not mind having one of those auto-piloted cars...especially in the congested traffic hours!
-Shades (October 19, 2010, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

wouldnt shock me if its Ryan Air...the same airline also wants to abolish seating on flights...so passengers would have to stand, so they could reduce the weight from removing seats, and cram in more people (Sounds dodgy to me) - Also defies the safety instructions..."Make sure your seat is in the upright position and your seatbelts are fastned"...I HAVE NO SEAT BELT...I HAVE NO SEAT

Mark0:
That thing about seatings was just a joke / piece of viral marketing / publicity stunt by Ryanair!  ;D
Some reference:

BBC News - Are standing seats a standing joke?

The copilot story is probably the same thing; Michael O’Leary have probably found that every time it makes some outlandish remarks in an interview, it gets more tickets in the subsequents few days!  :) Most of journalists seems quite adept to spread the news without even basic fact checkings, nowadays, and so they play his game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version