ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Goodbye OpenOffice, Hello LibreOffice

<< < (6/17) > >>

Curt:
The free office suite the community has been dreaming of for twelve years

Berlin, February 7, 2013 – The Document Foundation announces LibreOffice 4.0, the free office suite the community has been dreaming of since 2001. LibreOffice 4.0 is the first release that reflects the objectives set by the community at the time of the announcement, in September 2010: a cleaner and leaner code base, an improved set of features, better interoperability, and a more diverse and inclusive ecosystem.

PLEASE NOTE that, since this is the very first version in the series, make sure to read the release notes!
--- End quote ---

LibreOffice 4.0: a community on fire

In less than 30 months, LibreOffice has grown dramatically to become the largest independent free software project focused on end user desktop productivity. TDF inclusive governance and the copyleft license have been instrumental in attracting more than 500 developers – three quarters of them being independent volunteers – capable of contributing over 50,000 commits.

The resulting code base is rather different from the original one, as several million lines of code have been added and removed, by adding new features, solving bugs and regressions, adopting state of the art C++ constructs, replacing tools, getting rid of deprecated methods and obsoleted libraries, and translating twenty five thousand lines of comments from German to English.

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/-LibreOffice 4.0
--- End quote ---

sulc84:
open office isn't good ,but it is free :)  I use it alot of times,but sometimes I need to reinstall it to work again.I will try libreoffice and put my opinion

Renegade:
I just downloaded the portable version - 4.0.0.3. I'm going to give it a shot to see if it can replace Word for me. Crossing my fingers...

40hz:
Been making an effort to use it as much as possible since last week when I grabbed Win and Nix versions. So far I haven't encountered any problems. Seems quite nice so far. It's certainly useable.

For many, it's probably better to wait for it to hit the repositories if you're running Linux.  Installing the raw version might be tricky for new Nix users. (Not so much tricky as it is that you really should read the installation notes first. There's a few extra but easy steps you need to be aware of to get good desktop integration. Which is one of the details installing from your distro's repositories will handle for you.)

8)

40hz:
A good (largely positive - but not overly so) review of v4 was recently posted over at Dedoimedo.com

Read it here.

LibreOffice 4 deserves around 8/10. It's a sure keeper, and I am glad to have it added to my arsenal, both on Windows and Linux. I just wish it could become a killer app, but the path thither is still long and perilous. Well, let's hope version 5 will make that a reality.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version