ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How much soda (pop) do you drink?

<< < (7/11) > >>

Renegade:
I finally got around to watching the video. Very, very interesting. I've noticed a lot of foods getting rid of High Fructose Corn Syrups, but they still have fructose and corn syrups, which I guess are still bad for you.
-Deozaan (November 07, 2010, 11:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's pretty mind-blowing.

I'm still not sure about the differences in different sources of fructose, but I think they're about the same as far as it goes. i.e. fructose is fructose is fructose. Not sure about that though.

There's a move now to rename HFCS to "corn sugar".

Deozaan:
So, after watching that video on sugar/fructose for 1.5 hours saying calories don't matter, sugar matters, how do you explain this?

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.-http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
--- End quote ---

This is directly contradictory to what Dr. Lustig said in his sugar videos.

Renegade:
So, after watching that video on sugar/fructose for 1.5 hours saying calories don't matter, sugar matters, how do you explain this?

-Deozaan (November 08, 2010, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that there's more than one road leading to Rome.

Here's a diet that's likely to guarantee weight loss... Tons of celery well above the accepted calorie intake level and crystal meth (may be substituted with heroin). Doesn't mean it's a good diet though.

I think that we're basically talking about INCREDIBLY complex systems (the human body), and that there's simply no end to the different solutions that we could come up with. I think that some solutions will have adverse effects as well.

Also, remember that the single instance there from Dr. Mark Haub is just that. One instance. Dr. Lustig has a significant amount of data and sources.

Dr. Haub does not make the logical fallacy "from one therefore all".

Dr. Lustig's conclusions are reasonable: from many, likely for almost all. We accept there are outliers in systems.

I would guess that there are factors that are not being taken into account that would inform us better about why these 2 seemingly reasonable conclusions/theories are at odds with each other. Particle-wave anyone? :) We really don't know much about the human body as a system. Modern medical science is really still quite primitive.

Anyways, just my $0.02 on the topic.

tomos:

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.-http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
--- End quote ---

-Deozaan (November 08, 2010, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good question. That was kind of touched on earlier - coke diet and marsbars diet. I dont know why they work for weight loss. (The body cant afford to put on weight when it's getting such a nutritionally poor diet? or that the combinations of food-types is not there in that diet (read on).)

It bothers me though that this guy is a "professor of human nutrition" and he cant see that all this really proves is that in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most - when you eat a "convenience store diet". This does *not* prove the same for a regular diet (whatever that might be).

And let's face it, a 'diet' like that will probably leave you with diabetes and other health problems fairly quickly.
Ironically my interest in all this stems from the fact I dont/cant put on weight. Because of that, I used to think I could eat anything, but eventually I wrecked my digestion and I eat reasonably healthily now. For a good while (after the wrecking) I ate along the food 'combining'/seperating lines. Idea being that different food types (protein, carbos, fruit, sugary stuff, etc) get digested in different ways in the gut and so should not be eaten together (e.g. protein+veg *or* carbos+veg). What I've stuck with is keeping the sugary stuff seperate. Actually I love the way here in Germany that they have cake in the afternoon (well, at the weekend) - traditionally dinner would be midday, cake sometime mid afternoon after a few hours of digestion. After a good meal I have a lovely aftertaste of savoury food - the idea of chucking something sweet after it is kind of weird to me now...

I dont know if any scientific research has been done on the food separation idea (I dont really care any more either!) but it's almost comical how much it upset traditional nutritionists (possibly people like the guy quoted above, no, not you Deo :p).

Renegade:
Actually I love the way here in Germany that they have cake in the afternoon (well, at the weekend) - traditionally dinner would be midday, cake sometime mid afternoon after a few hours of digestion. After a good meal I have a lovely aftertaste of savoury food - the idea of chucking something sweet after it is kind of weird to me now...
-tomos (November 09, 2010, 04:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's an interesting observation. I ONLY ever have "dessert" when I'm in North America. Normally, if I have "dessert", it's fruit after a meal. Fruit is very sweet and is a nice way to end a meal. Picked that up in Korea. Fruit is popular for dessert in many places in Asia.

On a kind of tangent, I remember a friend of mine's wife saying, "You all just don't know how to cook or eat in the West." When you look at things, she's right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version