topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: XYplorer sale at BDJ  (Read 4124 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
XYplorer sale at BDJ
« on: November 04, 2010, 11:06 PM »
http://www.bitsdujou...er-lifetime-license/

Worth it? Not sure. I really haven't used any Explorer replacements since PowerDesk 4 about 10 years ago. Just haven't seemed to be able to get into them. Is this one good enough and does it have a nice enough flow?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XYplorer sale at BDJ
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 06:00 AM »
Worth it? Of course! -most would say. Like many others, I purchased such a discounted Pro lifetime license just a few months ago. Now I don't even have the program installed! I simply don't bother to TRY to learn how to use the (powerful) scripting. If you understand scripting at all, XYplorer Pro may just be the thing for you, but if you don't, XYplorer may still be a fine Explorer replacement, but only just. Is what I think.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:03 AM by Curt »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:04 AM »
I'm only a very basic user but I like it a lot, search is very fast, very portable, you can create a customised open with dialogue (shortcut activated) for different filetypes. Constantly being updated.
You cant go wrong there - if you search for it here you'll find lots of people, advanced too, recommending it.
Of course it's dead easy to try it out - just download the portable version.

[edit] I would say it's definitely better getting the lifetime license - it's updated so much that it's very worthwhile. I'm a fan of Dopus, but they just dont seem particularly interested when you come up with ideas for simple improvements - they *may* be included in the next version. With XY there's no guarantee your ideas will be taken on board but I've had positive experiences there on the XY forum [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 07:12 AM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:03 AM »
just realised this thread about the same sale:
XYplorer Lifetime License 51% discount on BitsDuJour
Tom

Winkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 12:42 PM »
just realised this thread about the same sale:
XYplorer Lifetime License 51% discount on BitsDuJour
Fortunately it's not Monday yet... I just updated the first post of the linked thread.

... search is very fast, very portable, you can create a customised open with dialogue (shortcut activated) for different filetypes. Constantly being updated.
You cant go wrong there ...
Completely agree! Search, Portability, Portable File Associations / Portable Openwith Menu are some of the best features. Along with Undo, Custom Keyboard Shortcuts and Visual Filters. And of course the Catalog (as shown in my attached screenshot in the other thread) and Scripting*.

Before XYplorer I used xplorer2 lite and I was never tempted to buy the Pro version. After trying out XYplorer for one day I realised I definitely needed the Pro version. Although I also have to say that I took the DC offer in June which was about the same price as this deal. And I doubt if I would buy it for the full price.

* These scripts doesn't have to be complicated also one-liners (in User-Defined Commands) are timesavers, like:
Code: PHP [Select]
  1. // Append Modified Date To Selected File(s)/Folder(s)
  2. rename b, '* <datem yyyymmdd-hhmm-ss>';