Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 17, 2014, 10:10:21 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Font Survey: 42 of the Best Monospaced Programming Fonts  (Read 4022 times)
Armando
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 07, 2010, 11:17:45 PM »

Another font thread. smiley

The article isn't exactly new, but I went through it today and tried to find the best font (again... 3rd time in the last 2 years...) for coding.

After a year, I still find Consolas incredible, even at 8pt. Of course, some won't like its clear-type / anti-aliasing...

I admit I sometimes need a  "clear type" break... but, generally I prefer  "clear type" on my laptop LCD.
LCD's are not all the same -- mine has very "sharp" pixels (this could also be due to the graphical adapter I suppose... But I'm far from being an expert in that field).

Other monospaced that I use from time to  time :

Dina 8pt (I love it, but... sometimes my eyes need anti-aliasing. Go figure. It's also a bit wider than Consolas and so doesn't allow me to see long comments as well... Wink)

Proggy Clean with Slashed Zero

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 01:35:53 AM »

Another font thread. smiley

The article isn't exactly new, but I went through it today and tried to find the best font (again... 3rd time in the last 2 years...) for coding.

That is a very nice comparison I think.

I admit I sometimes need a  "clear type" break... but, generally I prefer  "clear type" on my laptop LCD.
LCD's are not all the same -- mine has very "sharp" pixels (this could also be due to the graphical adapter I suppose... But I'm far from being an expert in that field).

A good point. If you spend a lot of your time looking at code/text in an editor, I believe it is important to take the time to try out a few fonts and see which ones work for you and for the monitor you are using. Also, try with different types of text -- some fonts work well for code but make it less pleasant to read a passage of text, some the other way around.

In my experience, the size of your screen, the resolution, and how cleartype looks on your particular hardware, can have a big impact on readability and on how much it stresses your eyes.

For instance, I am (still) using a 17" LCD at 1280x1024. On that, I like Consolas at 10 pt. At 9 pt it starts having some artifacts, like the dot over the i being off center, and at 8 pt some characters start getting 'smudgy', like m and w. Such things distract my eye when reading a line. But at 10 pt it's very good here Thmbsup.

A font like Dina was initially designed for 8 pt, because that was the size that happened to work best on my screen. The larger sizes were added because people with larger LCDs sometimes had trouble reading Dina at 8 pt. From the feedback I have gotten, they seem to work well, but Dina 10 pt looks huge on my little screen embarassed.

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 02:25:37 AM »

I've been using Consolas for programming since its release and been very happy with it. The only problem I have with it is that I have to use it at 11 pt, as 10 is too small for me (while Courier New 10 is just about right). I wish Consolas had a 10.5 size.

Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:09:09 AM »

That is a very nice comparison I think.

Isn't it?  smiley

A good point. If you spend a lot of your time looking at code/text in an editor, I believe it is important to take the time to try out a few fonts and see which ones work for you and for the monitor you are using. Also, try with different types of text -- some fonts work well for code but make it less pleasant to read a passage of text, some the other way around.

Completely agree. That's why tend to switch between 3 or 4 fonts, depending on what I'm looking at. There's another one I sometimes use : Osaka Unicode. But I usually end up switching to Dina after a few hours.

For instance, I am (still) using a 17" LCD at 1280x1024. On that, I like Consolas at 10 pt. At 9 pt it starts having some artifacts, like the dot over the i being off center, and at 8 pt some characters start getting 'smudgy', like m and w. Such things distract my eye when reading a line. But at 10 pt it's very good here Thmbsup.

Consolas looks amazing on my 1280x800 laptop LCD... At 8pt ! But you're right about the m and w. They aren't as clear as Dina's. But... My eyes and brain don't seem to bother.

I like small fonts (vertically AND horizontally) -- need to see as much as possible without having to scroll every second!

A font like Dina was initially designed for 8 pt, because that was the size that happened to work best on my screen. The larger sizes were added because people with larger LCDs sometimes had trouble reading Dina at 8 pt. From the feedback I have gotten, they seem to work well, but Dina 10 pt looks huge on my little screen embarassed.

This morning I'm using Dina 8pt. Thmbsup

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:17:06 AM »

I've been using Consolas for programming since its release and been very happy with it. The only problem I have with it is that I have to use it at 11 pt, as 10 is too small for me (while Courier New 10 is just about right). I wish Consolas had a 10.5 size.

Hmmmm.... 11 would definitely be too big on my screen. Maybe there's another one that'd fit the bill. Others that I like (but haven't used extensively)  :

- AdaptiveCode Regular 11 point
- Monospace 821 BT 10 point

Glenn Gould
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 09:28:15 AM »

I just compared Monospace 821 BT 10 point with Consolas 11 and 10... And it looks pretty good. Could almost replace a "Consola 10.5" (if it existed) in my book. Not as narrow a Consola 10, but less tall. And very clear. The only problem : no slashed zero.

AdaptiveCode Regular 11 point... Isn't free. There's a sophisticated feel to it, but I'm not sure I'd like it for long term usage anyway. Still worth trying.

Glenn Gould
megar
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 01:06:08 PM »

There is only one font better than Consolas, it is Consolas Sans Typewriter !

Liberation Mono is good, too. (and free !)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_fonts
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.037s | Server load: 0.16 ]