topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: YATAD (Yet Another Thread About Defragmentation)  (Read 3353 times)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
YATAD (Yet Another Thread About Defragmentation)
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:39 AM »
Hi,
I recently upgraded my iolo System Mechanic license from v9.5 to V10.  Amoung the feature there is one called "realignate" files.  It seems to be similar to defragmenters that sort files alphabetically.  Anyone could confirm that ?  Thanks.
.merle1.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: YATAD (Yet Another Thread About Defragmentation)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 02:54 PM »
MerleOne, if you (or someone else) find the answer, please let us know. Sorry, I haven't tested System Mechanic in recent years.  Realignate? :o

Quite frankly, the more I "study" defraggers the more confused I get. :-[

I mean, it's quite difficult to comprehend how iolo's Program Accelerator + Drive Accelerator differs from PIOZR (Puran Intelligent Optimizer) or QSICA (Quicksys Intelligent Clusters Allocation). And if there are real differences, are they statistically significant in terms of performance?

Good grief, I can see why some users just stick with the native OS defrag utility and call it a day.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:01 PM by sajman99 »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 04:01 PM »
I think the question is becoming quite academic, this optimizer lacks some major features :
- the ability to exclude big files or specific files
- a stop function that stops right away

And was I dislike most : when a drive has been optimized, if I relaunch an optimization, it starts over again and take almost as much time as during the first optimization, so that's not really an optimization.
.merle1.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 06:40 PM »
I think the question is becoming quite academic, this optimizer lacks some major features...

Ah, that's surprising System Mechanic would have such feature limitations. All iolo's proprietary, new and improved, patent-pending tech talk (aka marketing mumbo-jumbo ;)) cannot substitute for the problems you have mentioned. :down:

I also cannot understand why subsequent optimizations should take as long as the initial optimization. :tellme: I would think a defragger's optimization scheme would be implemented on the first run, and then only maintenance (ie. much less file movement) would be required. Yet I keep seeing these defraggers which act like they've never been to the party before.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:49 PM by sajman99 »