ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tortoise SVN and online repositories

(1/2) > >>

kyrathaba:
I've been using Tortoise SVN for about a month now to backup my work on a C# project.  Love it!  Anyone have any knowledge about how to do revision numbers?  I confess I really don't understand revision numbers.  I've been occasionally updating my "version" as I add considerably more features.  Now I'm at v1.2, but don't have any rational why it's "1.2" and not 0.99 or 1.3.  Any help?

Also, anyone have any experience creating patches with Tortoise SVN?

Deozaan:
Revision numbers or software versions?

AFAIK, revision numbers are automatically assigned by each commit to the repository.

As for software "versioning," it's largely up to you how to do it. Quite often I see the format as something similar to major.minor.build.revision.

I personally follow a format something like this:

major.year.month.day[.minor/build/whatever I feel like at the time]

Although I haven't been completely consistent with that system. In one case I've actually done major.build.year.month.day. You can click the little icons in my signature for more examples, if you feel so inclined.

I just like the idea of the date being in the version so you can easily tell at a glance how long it's been since the last update. But it does lack the simplicity of being able to say "Upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 now!" I'd have to say "Upgrade from 1.2010.10.01 to 1.2010.10.05 now!"

EDIT: Spelling and clarification, etc.

kyrathaba:
Thanks, Deozaan.

Question: how do you identify what a "major" versus "minor" revision is?

Renegade:
Thanks, Deozaan.

-kyrathaba (October 06, 2010, 07:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Functionality. It's really very subjective though. In the Unix/server world, versions tend to go up slower than in the consumer-level end-user PC software world.

Deozaan:
-kyrathaba (October 06, 2010, 07:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Functionality. It's really very subjective though. In the Unix/server world, versions tend to go up slower than in the consumer-level end-user PC software world.
-Renegade (October 06, 2010, 07:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly. Whatever you think is a minor change, raise the minor version number. If you think it's kind of a big change but not a major change, go up a few minor version numbers (e.g. 1.0 to 1.5). And of course if you think you've made some major changes then go up a major version number.

That's just my opinion though. I don't know much about it since I don't release much software. Big software companies or actually just about any other person most likely do something else.

Take a look at mouser's version numbers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version