topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 8:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Migrating Outlook Notes into another note taking program?  (Read 2763 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Migrating Outlook Notes into another note taking program?
« on: October 06, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Has anyone had any positive experiences in exporting Outlook Notes so that it could be imported by any other note taking software (other than OneNote)?
I find the Outlook built-in export to CSV a little squirrelly (I've never seen CSV files with multiline records in any other program). Specifically I tried importing these CSV files into ThunderNote as is recommended but it appears that doesn't work no matter what I try. And it looks like I could import Tomboy for Windows notes if I wrote some custom code to split and XML-ify the .csv export into .note files, but it seems like a lot of hassle.

And if that weren't impossible enough, ideally I would want to be able to edit the notes from a PDA as well. This may affect the choice of my next PDA OS.

OneNote actually seems to be the best bet since they have a PDA version that doesn't require an always-on internet connectivity, I didn't really care for the desktop version (2007, haven't tried 2010 yet).

Mainly (today) I care about simple text based notes.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:45 AM by daddydave »

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Migrating Outlook Notes into another note taking program?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:48 AM »
Turns out that
",,"3","Normal","Normal"
is a pretty good delimiter for my particular Outlook notes exported to a CSV file, when using skwire's Chopping List after renaming the CSV to TXT. I just need to fiddle with the resulting files and make them into XML sandwiches (probably from a batch file when I get around to it). I'll let you know how it goes.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Migrating Outlook Notes into another note taking program?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Well, it seems that...

If you create a .note files according to the Tomboy XML spec, and drop them in the folder with the other .note files, Tomboy pretends not to notice, at least not with the Windows version. So that was a nice waste of time. May look at it later.