ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

iPod Touch, PIM, and Outlook (WAS: Thunderbird as a PIM Hub)

<< < (8/9) > >>

steeladept:
steeladept, thanks for making me consider iPod Touch as an option, which was unthinkable for me before you started making the case. Sounds like you were where I was. My own research is so far corroborating what you say:

* MobileNoter Wi-Fi edition for iPod Touch/iPhone syncs to Microsoft OneNote cloudlessly. I don't currently use OneNote, don't really like it, but maybe I need to.
* Pocket Informant for iPhone. Used to sync  only to ToodleDo and Google though, but  "Version 1.2 adds syncing directly to Oulook via our WebIS Desktop Sync" Thus it also can be cloudless.
* The PIM situation on Android seems grim. Do a Google search for Android PIM and you will find dozens of threads like this, but no finished apps and apparently no open API's on Google's side.-daddydave (October 16, 2010, 08:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
It does indeed.  The only real difference I see is your Notes requirement.  The Touch does have a notes app, but does not sync with outlook.  If that is the only problem, however, it may be your closest solution.  I was a Die-Hard WinCE 3.0 fan, I just wanted a phone integrated at the time and it would have been perfect (the Dell Axiom line was SO CLOSE!).  I am begrudgingly becoming an iOS fan, mostly because there is so little else to choose from.  I really like my iPod Touch for what it is but I have a fair number of gripes about it, mostly dealing with my inability to get unapproved apps without Jailbreaking (which does have it's own set of issues - primarily when time to upgrade the OS if you so desire). Given the darth of alternative devices, it is effective for what it is.  My biggest gripe now is the battery is starting to go on it and that is not a user replaceable item.  Moreover, it costs about $70 to replace not to mention the time it takes to send it in, get it repaired and get it back.  During this time you are SOL. Not a good option in my opinion.  Supposedly there are some sites that tell you how to replace it yourself (which voids the warranty, but who cares, by the time the battery dies it is out of warranty anyway unless you buy AppleCare for the device, if it is even available).  Still, the device is almost 18 months old and still very useable.   I understand that the batteries typically only last 18 - 24 months on the iPhone, so I don't expect it to last a lot longer (if at all) on the iPod Touch.  I get the funny feeling that you and I (and probably a ton of other people out there) have a lot of pent up demand for a device that just doesn't exist right now - and probably won't for a long time, if ever, for a variety of reasons.  Let us know what you do decide to go with though.  As you can see, there are several of us around with a variety of systems.  I am sure someone can point you in the right direction for additional ideas on your chosen device.
The app on mine will manage all my email accounts if I want.
Android does require a gmail account (& Google Checkout) for the Market. No different to Apple in that. No need to use it. All email can be through any service you want. And I suspect you can get manage it differently, and outside Google, if you want.
Maybe the Android phone you had wasn't the same as mine.
-Dormouse (October 16, 2010, 07:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually I understand that AndroidOS 2.2 does work that way like you said (except for the Outlook sync - that still is unavailable from what I have read and been told by others with an EVO on 2.2.).  The phone I had was a Galaxy S phone with AndroidOS 2.1 which did not.  Further, while Samsung released v. 2.2 for the Galaxy S phone line, AT&T refused to release it or, indeed, provide so much as a roadmap for the release.  Given this and the other problems I had with it, I dumped it.  Maybe it is more an issue with AT&T, but the neat part for me with the iPhone is my connection with AT&T is now with regard to phone service ONLY.  ANYTHING with the device, Apple handles.  Moreover, any updates Apple provides becomes immediately available to all devices using that OS.  Not just becoming available to multiple other vendors who get to push their own crap onto the device and deciding if and when I can take advantage of certain features.  With that Galaxy S phone, for example, Google set their own release schedule.  Then Samsung would take the release version and test it on their phones with whatever extra stuff they decide "I NEED".  Then when they get around to releasing it, AT&T gets to do the same thing!  Only then do I get the chance at updating to features I may believe I want or need, which then may or may not be enabled by the "tweeners" that I had to deal with.  With my iPhone and iPod Touch, Apple provides the device, device support, and the OS, and it's related support.  Meaning when they release it, I have it immediately available.  And with AndroidOS 2.2, yes, I felt that was an immediate need for several of the features.

daddydave:
According to this discontinued project on Google Code, IPhone 3.0 firmware and later allows syncing Outlook Notes natively. But not the iPod Touch?

Apparently the the iPod Touch too. I may need to do a firmware upgrade

daddydave:
The deed is done, I got an iPhone Second Generation 16GB off ebay.

This morning I find some timely news.

steeladept:
Nice.  Thanks for the news.  Hope that works out well for you.  It has for me so far.

daddydave:
The deed is done, I got an iPhone Second Generation 16GB off ebay.

This morning I find some timely news.

-daddydave (October 19, 2010, 05:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wasn't aware PwnAge Tool was Mac only. So now I have the Chronic Dev blog and greenpois0n bookmarked, or at least in browser history. I may try it un-jailbroken first so I have a better appreciation for the benefit of it. The device should arrive Friday. Making a list of apps I want to install, I think I'll put Couch to 5K first on the list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version