ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

iPod Touch, PIM, and Outlook (WAS: Thunderbird as a PIM Hub)

(1/9) > >>

daddydave:
I have been experimenting in slow motion with Thunderbird, to see if it is possible for me to use it for what I use Outlook for, as a hub for the Four Pillars of PIM: tasks, notes, calendar items, and contacts.

1. How do I stop the Mail Account Setup prompt from appearing every time I launch Thunderbird or go to Address Book? I use Gmail for personal mail.
iPod Touch, PIM, and Outlook (WAS: Thunderbird as a PIM Hub)

EDITED: I put it my Gmail address and it was very smart about pulling up IMAP and SMTP server from a database, which is impressive but I don't really want to access my Gmail locally at this time.

EDITED 2: Discovered by accident that if I go ahead and set up a mail account and remove the account, it stops nagging me but for some reason I can only remove the IMAP server not the SMTP server.

2. Lightning seems to be the canonical add-on for tasks and calendar, contacts are built in, is there a notes add-on someone could recommend?

(EDIT 3: So far, it looks like ThunderNote)

3. Is there a good way to sync tasks, notes, calendar items, and contacts in Thunderbird with a PDA (any OS)?  I see BirdieSync but it only seems to sync 1 to 3 of these, depending on OS.

BirdieSync™ allows synchronization of your Windows Mobile device (contacts, events, tasks and mails) or your iPhone (contacts) with Thunderbird™ with Lightning extension installed and Sunbird™ on your PC.
--- End quote ---

Dormouse:
Spicebird attempts to do this. Development has been rather spasmodic but appears to be continuing.

I suspect the easiest sync approach is through gmail, but that does mean having everything in the cloud and again probably won't cover everything (I've not tried).

daddydave:
Spicebird attempts to do this. Development has been rather spasmodic but appears to be continuing.
-Dormouse (October 05, 2010, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Doesn't seem to do tasks and notes, though.

EDITED: On second thought, if it has calendar by way of the Lightning add-on, it should have tasks, too.

daddydave:
Exported my Outlook notes to a CSV file and importing them into ThunderNotes as we speak, sure is taking a while, I didn't think I had that many notes.

UPDATE: OK, I guess it doesn't work. Nice thought though.

Dormouse:
EDITED: On second thought, if it has calendar by way of the Lightning add-on, it should have tasks, too.
-daddydave (October 05, 2010, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version