topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: process tamer now functional  (Read 5825 times)

garnet

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
process tamer now functional
« on: February 10, 2006, 01:56 PM »
I'm not sure exactly what the problem was or exactly what the cure was. I did reinstall my system from a mirror copy and now everything is fine. Thanks for your efforts to help. I would not know what to say to jvaudrey who seemed to be having the same problem as myself. I will provide a textfile attachment of my current services profile if this would of help.
Garnet Andrew Goudey

FHM1

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: process tamer now functional
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 04:47 PM »
To give an answer to garnet, why reinstalling the system helped:
The longer you're working with Windows, the more residu of opened files clutter up your harddisk. Even cleaning up and defragmenting does not clean up your disk entirly. Process tamer will then not be able to get a fix on where exactly it should look for the process to tame, because it gets mystified by windows. Reinstalling solves this problem.
For me Process tamer does a nice job in taming CPU usage, but there is another problem in your system that it doesn't handle and wich can and will make your system  become slow and "not responding" and that is if you use many programms at the same time or after one another windows takes a lot of time of cleaning up the threads and in the worst case create a stack overflow in the GDI resources thus rendering your system to be nonresponding. Adding a Ramcontroller helps out for a while, but a reboot does a better job.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: process tamer now functional
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 05:28 PM »
The longer you're working with Windows, the more residu of opened files clutter up your harddisk. Even cleaning up and defragmenting does not clean up your disk entirly. Process tamer will then not be able to get a fix on where exactly it should look for the process to tame, because it gets mystified by windows. Reinstalling solves this problem.
-FHM1
This has nothing to do with it - process tamer doesn't even know nor care what file is used for a process it's taming.

The real answer is "windows works in mysterious ways, and computers aren't really deterministic though people claim they are" :)

windows takes a lot of time of cleaning up the threads and in the worst case create a stack overflow in the GDI resources thus rendering your system to be nonresponding. Adding a Ramcontroller helps out for a while, but a reboot does a better job.
-FHM1
Trying to sound smart? That was absolute gibberish. "Stack overflow in GDI resources"? Gibberish. "Adding a Ramcontroller"? Can't do that, part of either the chipset or (in case of AMD64), the CPU.
- carpe noctem