ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Text Editor

Is this serious?

<< < (3/3)

Eóin:
People might like to give Cream a try for a more accessible interface to Vim.

noksagt:
I don't know why you say any of the features in vim are hard to figure out.  In addition to the (possibly esoteric, but also logically chosen) keyboard commands, there are MENU OPTIONS for all of this stuff

* Tools->convert to hex
* Edit->Find.. (or Edit->Find and replace...)
* Edit->Undo
* Tools->FoldingHow is any of that "too hard to figure out?"

Also, vim can be scripted with python (and probably other stuff) in addition to the vimscript.  And user tools only need to be dumped into the plugins directory.  Some authors even package them in installers for different operating systems!

If you don't like the modal editor, use gVim Easy (that ships with vim).  Or use cream (which is quite good for beginners to vim).

Yes, vim has other hidden secrets that are harder to figure out & those who want to truly master it may want to refer to the help system.    However, for the purposes of THIS review, the author could have just quickly flipped through the different menus.  If he couldn't do this, what other editors did he give a half-hearted, inaccurate try?

f0dder:
The thing that's hard to figure out with VIM isn't really using it - find a "cheat sheet" and you'll be able to use it rather quickly. No, the hard thing is being *more productive* with VIM than whatever other text editor - it requires adapting to a completely new mindset, if you're used to standard windows-style text editors.

Btw, noksagt... Danish?

noksagt:
Btw, noksagt... Danish?-f0dder (May 28, 2007, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
The word is (enough said).  I'm not.

Tuxman:
As I just read that editor review again, I'd like to add my 2 cents:

Other editors had "macro recording" as a pro. The Vim entry says "custom vim script". Now this is not about "too hard to figure out". It uses vimscript indeed, but it can also handle macros of any complexity. Type q (without a colon), add a register for that macro (like "a"), enter a bunch of Vim commands, press q again and you can play the macro any time by @a and @@. So what?

(Just to clarify that.)

Ah, and Vim's GUI might not be that impressive. But what do you need a toolbar or even a menubar for at all?
Most people here use Ctrl+S to save something, I guess. They won't use a toolbar for it. So why do they care if Vim's toolbar and menu are ugly and too short and whatever?

:huh:

(Mine doesn't have both of them anyway.)

Its help system was another "con". Hell, what do you expect? Screenshots?
You can even use :helpgrep. Not many other editors allow this.

Having been convinced by a lot of positive reviews (also on DC :P), GVim is my default editor on Windows right now (to be honest, it has been for a couple of months now). Notepad++ (its "predecessor") is my "alternative" for some special purposes, but it is not registered with anything anymore. Vim could do everything in a better and/or more flexible way.

jm2c, as stated above.
And sorry for the bump.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version