topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Format NTFS from DOS!  (Read 9564 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Format NTFS from DOS!
« on: October 01, 2010, 03:50 PM »

if anyone can help me out here: i want to format a single NTFS partition from DOS . So far i have found Avira NTFS4DOS Personal 1.9 and Active@ NTFS Reader DOS Boot Disk which although allows access to NTFS partition but it doesn't format the drive. Please dont suggest 3rd party program like Easus Partiton Manager Pro and Barte Disc, which i already have and use. Just a personnel preference......any suggestion is welcomed.

ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Format NTFS from DOS!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 04:44 PM »
I know you don't want a 3rd party solution, but really, one of the easiest ways to manipulate NTFS, outside of windows, is a Linux live cd.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Avira NTFS4DOS Personal 1.9 and Active@ NTFS Reader

Isn't this a third party solution? A first-party solution would have to be from Microsoft, correct?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Anything to do with boot disk type utility or manipulating a Windows or other OS based drive from a boot something-or-other like USB key, diskette, CD etc.. I would look here first:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:55 PM »
Is there any reason you can't just boot from the Windows CD/DVD, (eg. Windows XP CD), into a Recovery Console and issue a Format, (and/or DiskPart), command?

No 3rd party software involved.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:24 PM by 4wd »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:57 AM »
NTFS on DOS? Why on earth would you want that? And why would any sane person use DOS today in the first place?
- carpe noctem

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Not sure why I didn't think of this before but..

Although there is no version of DOS that supports NTFS partitions in any form, Microsoft has something called Windows PXE (think of it as Windows Lite) you can use to create a boot CD, and run some version of Disk Manager from that. It is a little bit of pain to roll your own, but I've used a premade PXE boot CD image I've found on the internet, the name and my Google skills escape me at the moment.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 12:04 PM »
Is there any reason you can't just boot from the Windows CD/DVD, (eg. Windows XP CD), into a Recovery Console and issue a Format, (and/or DiskPart), command?

No 3rd party software involved.
I know you don't want a 3rd party solution, but really, one of the easiest ways to manipulate NTFS, outside of windows, is a Linux live cd.
Anything to do with boot disk type utility or manipulating a Windows or other OS based drive from a boot something-or-other like USB key, diskette, CD etc.. I would look here first:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/

Thank you all for your valuable inputs:  i need a Format Tool for NTFS partition because i want to format my drive prior to restoring my backup. Linux live cd is way out of my choice considering the amount of time it would take to boot and the Recovery Console too would take a considerable amount of time. Though it does the job:
I think i would have to satisfy myself with Easus Partition manager which i have been using for few months now.

Thanks Miles Ahead i will check on (later) www.boot-land.net: will see if i can find anything to my liking..........

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 09:12 PM »
So summing up:

You need to be able to boot into DOS in less than 10 seconds and do a full NTFS format prior to restoring an image of your OS.

Correct?

If so, then you can boot with a boring old DOS floppy and issue a full format command.  It doesn't matter what filesystem you format it in, it will be wiped when you restore your OS image.

However, if you mean that you will be restoring files and not a complete OS image, then:

Boot with a DOS floppy and issue a full format command.  It doesn't matter what filesystem you format it in since when you choose to install the OS you can then do a quick format into NTFS - the result will be the same.

If you're now going to say that you don't have a floppy drive then the answer is:

In the amount of time spent downloading the relevant DOS files, prepping a Flash drive, copying the files to it and then rebooting to use it - I could have booted off a XP CD and partitioned/formatted the drive.

How to boot from a USB Flash drive.  Partitioning/format tools here.

Just a question: Why do you need to do a full format before restoring your OS?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:23 PM by 4wd »

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 02:28 PM »
So summing up:

You need to be able to boot into DOS in less than 10 seconds and do a full NTFS format prior to restoring an image of your OS.

Correct?

If so, then you can boot with a boring old DOS floppy and issue a full format command.  It doesn't matter what filesystem you format it in, it will be wiped when you restore your OS image.
In the amount of time spent downloading the relevant DOS files, prepping a Flash drive, copying the files to it and then rebooting to use it - I could have booted off a XP CD and partitioned/formatted the drive.
How to boot from a USB Flash drive.  Partitioning/format tools here.
Just a question: Why do you need to do a full format before restoring your OS?
I was hoping someone would come up with that suggestion i.e., Load DOS DISK and format the drive, well my friend it ain't any good since the drive is already a NTFS partition as daddydave said:
Although there is no version of DOS that supports NTFS partitions in any form, Microsoft has something called Windows PXE
(still to check on Windows PXE : doesn't sound interesting ).

The DOS Disk wont see NTFS so it ain't a proper way to do so , however this time around i used the Recovery Disk to format the partition , it took a less about min a few sec.  I think i'll use both Recovery Console Disk and Easus Partition manager.
I can't give you a proper answer why i format before restoring ,its just good to start with a clean slate. Realigning the sectors that already has been fragmented many times, and restoring the backup without a proper format would inevitable contribute to wear and tear of HD, maybe.......   :-\
Please correct me ,,,,,i have no idea or is it not so necessary to format prior to restoring.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:31 PM by hulkbuster »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 02:56 PM »
If you use image-based restore, the format step is absolutely superfluous.
- carpe noctem

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 10:10 PM »
I was hoping someone would come up with that suggestion i.e., Load DOS DISK and format the drive, well my friend it ain't any good since the drive is already a NTFS partition

My circle is expanding :)  (PS. How will I recognise you in the street?)

Honestly, yes I goofed suggesting it, (add fdisk and it's fine though, just tried it here with my laptop - delete partition, create, format - although my laptop only has 2 partitions), and I apologise if the tone of my response was unsavoury in any way.

But also honestly, the statement 'I was hoping someone would come up with that suggestion ...' implies you were setting a trap and is counter-productive to asking for help.

All the various responses to your query could have been avoided by adding: "I want to do this with a view to restoration of an OS image.", to your OP.

In which case, everyone would have responded that a format isn't necessary.

Please correct me ,,,,,i have no idea or is it not so necessary to format prior to restoring.

As f0dder and I both mentioned, an image-based restore will wipe whatever is there but only on the sectors that are overwritten.  Some image software can zero any unused sectors.

Files that were fragmented before the image was taken will be fragmented after the restoration.  Files that were stored in the MFT will still be there, (deleted or not).
It is better to defragment before creating an image of your OS.  (Added: Defragging the system offline is even better - locked files will no longer be locked.)

Also, if you're concerned about any left over data, (eg. for security purposes):
- before your restore then you can do the full format, (as per your OP), or
- use a program to wipe unused sectors, (including deleted files in the MFT), before you create your image.  (I recommend doing it after a defrag.)

I've used Moo0 Anti-Recovery and it has worked very well, nothing recoverable after a deep scan with Recuva or Restoration.

Again, sorry if my tone was offensive but as I recently mentioned to someone here, I get irritated rather quickly if I have to play 20 questions to discover what the real question was, (or should have been).
Spoiler
People can be too secretive ;)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:33 PM by 4wd »

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 10:30 AM »
Honestly, yes I goofed suggesting it, (add fdisk and it's fine though, just tried it here with my laptop - delete partition, create, format - although my laptop only has 2 partitions), and I apologise if the tone of my response was unsavoury in any way.
I didn't mind your suggestion : it was something i had already thought at the beginning even before trying Avira NTFS4DOS Personal 1.9 and Active@ NTFS Reader DOS Boot Disk .  It looked  : you were in a hurry or something.

I really look up to any suggestion from the members of donation coder : but their are occassion when some guy tries to show who's the daddy .....

All the various responses to your query could have been avoided by adding: "I want to do this with a view to restoration of an OS image.", to your OP.
I think i had explained i wanted a Format tool for NTFS so i could restore my backup.

Thanks man Moo0 Anti-Recovery was really a new tool : i could use that to slim my next backup. Like someone has said thier is always a bigger galaxy to explore.....
 I dont think you will find me in the streets : i am from a very distant place....:)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 02:04 PM »
hulkbuster, what kind of backups are we talking about?

Again, if it's image-based, doing the format is 100% superfluous. If it's file-based, you can just restore from within Windows.
- carpe noctem

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 02:32 PM »
yeah my backup is image based: but i just want to format for my satisfaction.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 02:46 PM »
yeah my backup is image based: but i just want to format for my satisfaction.
Why?

It's an entirely superfluous step that buys you nothing, and only wastes time.
- carpe noctem

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 10:22 PM »
Windows PXE

Oops, I meant Windows PE (I changed the URL to something more user friendly)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:23 PM by daddydave »