ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Firefox Stability Issues

<< < (2/5) > >>

J-Mac:
As a matter of fact, I just uninstalled Firefox 3.6.? (9, I think). Very unstable here. I had previously disabled all extensions one by one, then removed all of them and added them back one by one, created a new profile, etc., etc. All the usual suspects, or recommendations. Nothing helped. Same problems appeared running FF in Safe Mode. (Firefox safe-mode, not Windows Safe-Mode).

Any link that opened a pop-up window froze FF for a good 1 to 3 minutes, every time. Firefox would continually freeze and get that "(Not Responding...)" notation in the title bar with almost any routine action - like starting to type text into any form, even forum reply boxes like this one. I found out that if I minimized all open windows there would be a message that read "Server busy..." and had buttons for Retry, Switch to..., and Cancel, though Cancel was often grayed out. I never did find the cause for that one but it was frequent and really frustrating. Looks like this:

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

It would mention just about any and every other open app on my box. Some more examples:

[attachimg=#2][/attachimg]

[attachimg=#3][/attachimg]

[attachimg=#4][/attachimg]

I'm using Chrome just about full-time now, and I have been trying out IE8. I am reluctant to give Firefox another go just yet because I have spent SO much time troubleshooting it for the past year!

So no, you are not alone Renegade.

Thanks!

Jim

Tuxman:
Running 3.6.10 (SSE2 build), quite many add-ons, no actual "crashes" whatsoever, only the Flash plug-in I use on some websites tends to give me weird messages ...

J-Mac:
A lot of posts I have read at various forums regarding the Server Busy errors seem to involve the Foxit PDF reader and its Firefox PDF-viewer plugin. But I don’t have Foxit installed. Also many users have that same long delay whenever Firefox is opening a popup window, but again many of those are rooted in having a video-related extension that installs a plugin called "FastVid". I have never had that installed either.

Tux, while you may not have problems - and I am sure a heck of a lot of folks don’t - there are also a lot of people that are having similar issues. Many more than I have seen reported in previous versions. Actually since Firefox 3.5 was released the number of bugs and people reporting them has gone way up.

Maybe FF4 will be a little cleaner.

Jim

Tuxman:
Fx3 (it's not "FireFox" or even "Fire Fox") is quite clean, too; at least with a fresh profile.
Once you use it long enough, it will be slow again.

Fx stores its data in SQLite files, AFAIK it started with version 3. Could be one reason for all these issues, as these files become bloated over the months...

4wd:
Oooppss!  Spoke too soon, whatever they did in the update yesterday totally hosed my Minefield install.  Couldn't browse anything without it crashing.

Forgot to mention, I'm using Minefield x64 builds with the x64 Flash beta - definitely walking on the dark side here :D

EDIT: Found the problem, the OptimizeGoogle addon no longer can be coerced into running 'nicely'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version