ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Check Gmail using C#

<< < (7/8) > >>

kyrathaba:
Figured it out: I wasn't adding a filename and extension to the end of the filename I tried to build.  DUH and DOUBLE-DUH!

kyrathaba:
@fodder:  Thanks for being willing to take time and try to help.  Turns out there isn't a problem, except me being inattentive.

If you can programmatically create a subdirectory, you can write a file there, as you'd expect.

f0dder:
Turns out there isn't a problem, except me being inattentive.-kyrathaba (December 26, 2010, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Bugs happen ^_^

If you can programmatically create a subdirectory, you can write a file there, as you'd expect.-kyrathaba (December 26, 2010, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, it's definitely what you'd expect - I was guessing that perhaps the IMAP library was running with more paranoid security settings or something. I should really find the time to read properly about .NET security.

kyrathaba:
I have the following functioning code to upload programmatically via FTP in C#:

--- Code: C# ---public void UploadFile(string FullPathFilename) {            string filename = Path.GetFileName(FullPathFilename);             try {                 FtpWebRequest request = (FtpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create(_remoteHost + filename);                request.Method = WebRequestMethods.Ftp.UploadFile;                request.Credentials = new NetworkCredential(_remoteUser, _remotePass);                 StreamReader sourceStream = new StreamReader(FullPathFilename);                byte[] fileContents = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(sourceStream.ReadToEnd());                 request.ContentLength = fileContents.Length;                 Stream requestStream = request.GetRequestStream();                requestStream.Write(fileContents, 0, fileContents.Length);                 FtpWebResponse response = (FtpWebResponse)request.GetResponse();                 response.Close();                requestStream.Close();                sourceStream.Close();             }            catch (Exception ex) {                                MessageBox.Show(ex.Message, "Upload error");            }            finally {             }
Now for the problem.  When I use this method in the following button click event, it does upload the file to the desired directory of my website, but then my UI hangs.  I have to kill the program from within the IDE.

--- Code: C# ---private void btnUploadTxtFile_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) {             string username = "my_username";            string password = "my_password";            string host = "ftp://glensforkumc.com";             try {                clsFTPclient client = new clsFTPclient(host + "/httpdocs/non_church/", username, password);                client.UploadFile(Path.GetDirectoryName(Application.ExecutablePath) + "\\myTextFile.txt");            }            catch (Exception ex) {                MessageBox.Show(ex.Message, "Upload problem");            }        }
Doesn't hang when using a similar method to download a file.  Any idea why my UI is freezing up after a successful upload?

f0dder:
Have you tried tracing the UploadFile method in the VS debugger to see if there's any particular line of code that causes a hang?

It's not a good idea doing stuff like this from your UI thread, anyway... you should either schedule the task on a background worker thread, or (better) use Async I/O. I'll refrain from saying anything about having non-ui code in a btnWhatever_Click handler :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version