ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

what's wrong with my PC? (it's often soooo slow)

<< < (5/5)

Bamse:
Can you check Windows updates for new hd-controller driver? I have had similar mystery freezes on desktop computer when using MS drivers for troublesome Jmicron crap. Actually I think it was ahci mode vs. MS drivers. Just take a look at changelog ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/ReleaseNote.txt I am not sure you will see such driver freezes via Task Manager.

J-Mac:
Better yet, DON’T check Windows Update for any of your hardware drivers! I recommend searching the manufacturers' websites for the latest correct drivers. Windows Update, while a little better than in the past, still lags pretty far behind on 3rd party drivers.

Jim

f0dder:
Better yet, DON’T check Windows Update for any of your hardware drivers! I recommend searching the manufacturers' websites for the latest correct drivers. Windows Update, while a little better than in the past, still lags pretty far behind on 3rd party drivers.-J-Mac (September 30, 2010, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Personally, I use WU for everything but graphics drivers - don't usually need the latest-and-greatest for other stuff, and WU is convenient :)

J-Mac:
It definitely is more convenient but I have had two instances of getting older drivers - both card readers and didn't hurt any - but I researched it and found a lot of recommendations against it. Techrepublic, Windows Secrets, and even one MS-MVP on the social.answers.microsoft.com forums. Maybe those were shaded against the MS drivers for some reason, but I do know firsthand the pain that can come from a bad driver! (Not a WU one, btw).

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version