topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to stop pulling my hair over "Recent Folders" never working system-wide?  (Read 8802 times)

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi forum,

I must have been trying to get rid of this incredible annoyance like for a decade, however still without any lasting success.

It probably is about a hundred times a day that I have to work the ghastly, awkward way inside those infamous OPEN/SAVE DIALOG BOXES of diverse applications from something like

• F:/Dispensable/Irrelevant/Annoying/Invalid/Deleted/TEMP

all the way to my respective current project folder which is of course

• D:/Projects/A-F/Customers/John-Doe-2010-08

(for example).

I think I've tried nearly every Dialog Box Extender on the market but to date did not find one that simply can keep track of say the last THREE ƃuıƃƃıɹɟ folders that I have been using in whatever way, like for example having visited them in Directory Opus, or having opened or saved a file in them from whatever program's pǝuɯɐp open/save dialog box.

Sorry for the graphic language, I just can't believe that it doesn't seem possible to get rid of this ridiculously persistent issue :(

Thanks HEAPS already for any effectual ideas

Cheers David.P

PS: System is XP, Applications for example Acrobat, Visio, Word, Thunderbird and many others

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FlashFolder has this feature but it only supports windows explorer and total commander plus it's not being actively developed. however i use it daily and haven't run into any problems.

http://sourceforge.n...rojects/flashfolder/

outside the realms of file dialog extenders, you might be interested in RecentX.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
David

Try if FolderCache, Re-open, Selector from our most industrious developer - MilesAhead - can help you :

http://www.favessoft.com/hotkeys.html

SKA
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:15 AM by SKA »

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I REALLY need (for the life and health of me) a button (or something) that

a) automatically
b) in OPEN/SAVE dialogs
c) simply gives me access to the folders that RECENTLY (sic) have been opened, or are currently open, in DOPUS; and
d) that does NOT force me another 500 zillion times in my life to RESIZE that bl**d* "RECENT" column width  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:

Is it really asked too much........

Please, someone, show me that salvific link to that little tool that DOES JUST THIS (and actually DOES it....................)

David.P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One big problem with using MS Common Controls, like File Open and File Save dialogs, MS deliberately made them so you cannot subclass them.  Meaning, if I wanted to open a Folder instead of a File, the easy way would be to take the File Open Dialog, and just change it a bit so that it had another button to open the highlighted Folder.  But these have been made "sealed" so that's not possible.  That's why you constantly see those stupid Browse For Folder dialogs in programs.

Programs that have Folder Open dialogs that look like they were modified from File Open, made them from scratch.  Those components usually cost like $50 or more so you can include them in your program.  Kind of steep for giveaway software.

Especially in File Save dialogs I try to put shortcuts I use most.  That Recently Used thing I ignore because the design of those types of things is usually so that it's easy to program rather than easy to use. And of course for the 3rd party programmer who is not "in the loop" you always have to wonder what's there but not documented.  Like for years nobody told us how to do Shell Extensions.

But, back to the point, I tend not to use programs that stick another control onto Explorer windows because the ones I've tried, tend to work 3 times, then give strange crashes. From 10 years ago when I used to write Shell Extensions I've learned to stay as far away from hooking into Explorer as possible.  It's like waiting for a Mouse Trap to snap shut when you touch it. Way too much stress.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:57 AM by MilesAhead »

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh I just found out that Direct Folders DOES IT  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

It even shows any folder that has previously just only been DISPLAYED in Dopus in the "Recent" menu, in any Open/Save dialog, on middle click  :Thmbsup:

In the Pro version, that is....

However it will be such a relief to paaaayyyy them $$$$$$$ for their pro version !

Thanks!
David.P

Kuntau

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • My English is bad :(
    • View Profile
    • Tech.Kuntau | Info Sharing Blog
    • Donate to Member
FlashFolder has this feature but it only supports windows explorer and total commander plus it's not being actively developed. however i use it daily and haven't run into any problems.

http://sourceforge.n...rojects/flashfolder/

outside the realms of file dialog extenders, you might be interested in RecentX.

Did FlashFolder  work with Win7 64bit? Thx

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Did FlashFolder  work with Win7 64bit? Thx

it doesn't work on Win 7 at all. the author has moved on, it seems.. the last update was in March, 2008. :(