topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Mark browser text to print, not other way around  (Read 4572 times)

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Mark browser text to print, not other way around
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Just saw another hit for a browser plugin that allows you to "hide" or remove parts of a webpage you don't want to print.

Seems bass-ackwards to me.  I've tried these things and they *all* fail because I have to do so much clicking and turning off of things that it's just a huge waste of time.

Why hasn't someone come up with the idea of choosing the part of the page you *DO* want to print and ignoring the rest.  One click and print..yer done and Bob's yer Uncle (unless you don't have a Bob in your family, or if he's the *creepy* uncle).

There may be reasons this can't be done, of which I am unaware.  First time for everything I guess....;0..roflmao

Anyway, if this can or can't be done, I'd love to hear about it!

Cheers!

Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Mark browser text to print, not other way around
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Why hasn't someone come up with the idea of choosing the part of the page you *DO* want to print and ignoring the rest. 

Aardvark can do this, you can select an element and choose 'Isolate' which will then delete everything surrounding the selected element, leaving you with just what you want to print.

http://karmatics.com/aardvark/

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:29 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on that.

Is Aardvark a DonationCoder item?  I was really hoping I had come up with a cool idea for DC. I guess I'll be crying myself to sleep yet again tonight!

Cheers!
Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 07:01 AM »
I could be missing something here, but that's already built into IE.

Highlight what you want printed.

Right click and select print preview.

In the dialog that opens select Print "as selected on screen" from the drop-down menu (top center)

Hit print, done.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:37 AM »
I could be missing something here, but that's already built into IE.

Highlight what you want printed.

Right click and select print preview.

In the dialog that opens select Print "as selected on screen" from the drop-down menu (top center)

Hit print, done.

Chrome you can do it with Selection radio button rather than Page in Print setup.  I don't know if it keeps the formatting as well as these specialized addons.  But I just tried it on part of this page. I got text in the same position size and color. Looks usable just for grabbing a paragraph or 2. Main hassle with it is I use AutoCopy.  After disabling(if you have it set to remove the selection after it's copied to clipboard) you have to restart the browser or the selection block will disappear.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:41 AM by MilesAhead »