ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only one who finds the new Apps-based world boring?

<< < (9/13) > >>

wraith808:
Of course, the thing about smartphones in that the OS is not where the action is: users will switch from one to another without a second thought.
-Dormouse (October 03, 2010, 04:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree.  Once you've bought apps, if they won't work on an OS, then you'll pretty much stick to it unless something catastrophic happens.  So the OS locks you in.  That's one of the reasons it took me forever to get an iPhone- I had too many apps on windows mobile (or whatever it was then).

Renegade:
Of course, the thing about smartphones in that the OS is not where the action is: users will switch from one to another without a second thought.
-Dormouse (October 03, 2010, 04:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree.  Once you've bought apps, if they won't work on an OS, then you'll pretty much stick to it unless something catastrophic happens.  So the OS locks you in.  That's one of the reasons it took me forever to get an iPhone- I had too many apps on windows mobile (or whatever it was then).
-wraith808 (October 03, 2010, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I really hope that we are blessed with an all-out total Von Clausewitz war that weeds out the wankers Apples weak and forces a compromise of interoperability.

This is one of the reasons that I'm rooting for Novell so much. I want their Mono project to really take root and succeed. (.NET/Mono is so much more productive than some other languages.)

kyrathaba:
Blackberry is still too email & business orientated for that and the Curve's screen is too small.
--- End quote ---

You got that right.  I'm SO tired on that tiny screen.

This is one of the reasons that I'm rooting for Novell so much. I want their Mono project to really take root and succeed. (.NET/Mono is so much more productive than some other languages.)
--- End quote ---

+1 Renegade.

It's a real pleasure coding against .NET.  I love C#.  It's my language of choice.  It's sad that Microsoft p*sses off so many people with its monopolistic tendencies.  If only they'd create a free *nix port of .NET, I think .NET use among developers would soar.  Of course, hopefully Novell's project will succeed.

Carol Haynes:
Just got a Blackberry Bold 9700 and like it a lot. It's great for out and about but I am not going to invest a lot of money or time and energy in Blackberry apps as it is far too fiddly to be any use for more than quickly responding to an email. I did download a training app (in the hopes of being inspired to get fit) that links up with the GPS - so ideal for my chose task of hill walking. It is also nice to have a decent music player (that isn't an iPod) that I can use via Blue Tooth in the car via the radio and have it auto mute when I get a call (it can also link to my car GPS and mute music to allow directions to be heard - though I haven't worked out how to get that working yet). Really all this is 'toy' stuff though and of only marginal real value.

I don't like many online apps - they are too slow and limited and I really don't want my stuff out there in the cloud - I don't trust companies to look after my data (esp. Microsoft as I got well and truly burned by them in the past when they lost a server and didn't have a backup!) not to mention potential security issues.

To do anything truly productive I want desktop apps - for me the way to go, out and about, is a netbook with a proper OS and applications and VPN to my desktop (just got a Samsung NS210 and it is really nice to use - esp. as i added extra memory, Win 7 Professional and Office 2010 Pro Plus).

IMHO smartphone apps are only really suitable for picking up mail and making a quick response if you have to - and other apps are useful for opening the odd document but who would really want to use a Blackberry or iPhone as a wordprocessor?

Dormouse:

I disagree.  Once you've bought apps, if they won't work on an OS, then you'll pretty much stick to it unless something catastrophic happens.  So the OS locks you in.  That's one of the reasons it took me forever to get an iPhone- I had too many apps on windows mobile (or whatever it was then).
-wraith808 (October 03, 2010, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

But it didn't stop you, did it? And just look at how much the market shares have changed in just a few years. How many WM users are sticking with WM? And WM7 won't be compatible with WM6 anyway.

I miss Agenda Fusion /Pocket Informant and ListPro. But there should be an android version of Pocket Informant very soon. I will otherwise just use apps that do what I want.

Next time, I will look at everything available (except iPhone - I won't buy any Apple product because they are so monopolistic) and make my decision at the time. I expect my next phone to work differently anyway, so a new OS won't be an issue. The change this time has been a delight.

Maybe switching from an iPhone would be harder. Apple control a lot of the data and datalinks as well as the OS and hardware so it might be harder to break free. I don't know; I can't see any such problem with Android.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version