ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only one who finds the new Apps-based world boring?

<< < (7/13) > >>

Renegade:
And 30% commission to the "app store"? F**k-off. They bring no value at all to the table. They bring negative value. Let's see, I give you 30% of my sales so that I can... (spewing vitriol deleted)
--- End quote ---

You're entitled to your opinon. I think that payment processing, order fulfillment and promotional services actually have a fair amount of value, and the market would seem to agree with me as people are generally charged for these services. Handango and Brighthand have been in this business for years. They must be making money from somewhere, and my guess it is from the developers who sell goods in their store.
-Jimdoria (October 02, 2010, 10:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

All the other affiliate programs and processors are optional. Handango, CNet, CJ, Softpedia, PayPal, Tucows, Digital River, etc. etc. etc. They all BRING value to the table. Apple doesn't. They TAKE money from the table.

Now, if the ecosystem wasn't completely locked down and everyone else wasn't locked out, then it would be a different story. It's the difference between being robbed and giving to charity. One is voluntary.

I don't like the monopolistic system. It's not good for anyone except Apple.

Renegade:
As of publicity, if there where more stores you got a bigger chance of your application getting noticed than with a single stores that buries you. Specially if your application is in a niche market, you will get better coverage on a specialized on line store than on a single monopolized one.
-rxantos (October 02, 2010, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen! The promotional value that Apple brings is negative. Page 42 of 500 is meaningless.

Eóin:
Also where's the publicity in having your app rejected because because it violates some arbitrary condition imposed by Apple to protect their interests, and not devices owner.

Renegade:
Also where's the publicity in having your app rejected because because it violates some arbitrary condition imposed by Apple to protect their interests, and not devices owner.
-Eóin (October 02, 2010, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

In all fairness, they *have* improved and have published a list of wishy-washy conditions that include "we don't like you". :P So, it's a *bit* better now. :)

Renegade:
Here's my summary: App Store Review Guidelines for iPhone/iPad Apps

And a funny look before they published their guidelines:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/04/24/a-secret-look-into-the-iphone-app-review-process-its-run-by-eight-year-olds/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version