ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FlatPress blogging platform: flat text file stored, open source, freeware

<< < (6/8) > >>

Curt:
Hardscratch is the name of the small rural community in which I live. 
-kyrathaba (August 08, 2011, 06:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

-fantastic; close to both Panama and Persia !!!   :D

kyrathaba:
I envision my blog becoming a sort of centralized information-store for me, although I've not quite figured out how I'm going to handle sensitive information, such as addresses, phone numbers, etc.  There are three approaches I've thought about: (1) use a PHP password-protection scheme to protect certain pages, (2) encrypt the data (but that sort of defeats ease of access), and (3) obfuscate the data in some simple way that I can mentally decode it on the fly -- I dunno, transpose digits in phone numbers or shift them all by 1, for instance.  I'm posting this here for feedback, because the community always proves fruitful when you're wanting to do something without reinventing the wheel.

I suppose the obvious answer is: memorize the most critical data, or keep it on my person in a passworded PIM device.  I'm open to people shooting down this idea of putting semi-sensitive stuff on my blog in a semi-protected format.  Obviously, I'm not going to put any seriously sensitive stuff up, like financial info (credit card # anyone?)

wraith808:
That's why I use PMWiki for my site.  You can password protect parts and leave other parts open, and it's easier to add to, and isn't date driven.  I'd suggest if you're going to use it as an information store, you should look at some sort of wiki.  I've just found that I like PMWiki the best, because of it's extensibility, the ease of the wiki language and adding pages, and the fact that it uses flat files like FlatPress.

kyrathaba:
Thanks wraith!  That does look like what I'm needing.  I'm only wanting a select few pages to be passworded.  Can I set up PMWiki in a subdirectory and just password-protect access to web-pages in that directory only?

I'll read more about PMWiki tonight.  Right now, I've got to leave for work.

Thanks for the info!

40hz:
I suppose the obvious answer is: memorize the most critical data, or keep it on my person in a passworded PIM device.  I'm open to people shooting down this idea of putting semi-sensitive stuff on my blog in a semi-protected format.  Obviously, I'm not going to put any seriously sensitive stuff up, like financial info (credit card # anyone?)
-kyrathaba (August 09, 2011, 07:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why not just use KeyPass to keep track of all of that and sync the encrypted datafile to something like iDrive or DropBox? There's been a bunch of how-tos on this. Here's two to get you started:

http://www.vilepickle.com/blog/2011/04/19/00105-using-dropbox-and-keepass-synchronize-passwords-while-staying-secure

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4962/securely-store-your-passwords-with-keepass/

I use KeyPass and a cloud drive in conjunction with KyPass on my iPhone. Makes sense since I always have that "skinny little white POS" with me at all times.

This combo is my de facto password vault. So now, no matter where I go, I can get to my passwords and secure data.
 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version