topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Looking for Refrigerator Magnets that work  (Read 22287 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for Refrigerator Magnets that work
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 01:04 PM »
Best I have found here:  http://www.supermagnetman.net/index.php?cPath=25

Super strong (the ones that look like push-pins). Also, the ones that have little hooks on them. Really excellent and not expensive. I have been dealing with this site for a while now and they are reliable.

Jim
Wow...that is a kick ass magnet store.  I love magnets, always have.  I have a box of magnets I've collected since I was a kid.  I even wrote a short story about magnets...eesh ;)

For real? Is your short story on the web? I'd like to read it. Post it on your blog somewhere and give us a link!

Thanks!

Jim
ugh...so embarrassing.  I'm a tech geek, i don't really know how to write.  plus, I wrote it when i was a teenager and really naive, stupid, boring, etc.  I don't know.  It's pretty embarrassing...I'll think about it.  I even had it printed in some weird magazine at UC Berkeley my freshman year.  Also, maybe it's just me, but I feel some of the imagery I used in the story may lead some people to think I'm a closet homosexual, but I'm not (not that there's anything wrong with that!).  I don't know, I feel weird about it.  I feel like people will read it and say all sorts of weird Freudian stuff about me and make me feel uncomfortable about it because that's not what I meant, but I can see where they're coming from, so I can't say it's not valid.  Ugh!!!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 01:05 PM »
And I also think I may have made up the Michaelangelo quote I used at the end, although i swear I heard it from somewhere.  Look, I was a kid at the time!!  Everyone needs to get off my back... ;D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 01:06 PM »
OK, I'll post it, but it will be password protected, and you'll have to request the password from me.  J-Mac, I'll PM you the password once I have it up.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 01:37 PM »
OK, I'll post it, but it will be password protected, and you'll have to request the password from me.  J-Mac, I'll PM you the password once I have it up.

LOL!! Supe - it's OK, I don’t need to see the article. I didn't know it was embarrassing or anything. Sorry. You can keep it secret if you'd like.

Thank you.

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 02:36 PM »

LOL!! Supe - it's OK, I don’t need to see the article. I didn't know it was embarrassing or anything. Sorry. You can keep it secret if you'd like.

Thank you.

Jim
well, I've thought about posting it anyway.  If it were interesting enough where some people can be entertained by it, I'll post it.  But if the only end result would be to show how bad it sucked, and mocking ensued, I'll avoid posting.  I don't know...I have a few things like that.  Stuff I like and am sort of proud of, but potentially too embarrassing to post.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 04:45 PM »
app103 - a microwave oven can do the same.

I am surprised at all the trepidation over some tiny little refrigerator magnets! Come on folks! Refrigerator magnets!! I would hazard a guess - out on a limb here - that many more people are killed in auto accidents than by their refrigerator magnets, but I'll wager that no one gives driving their cars that much cautious forethought!!  :P

Thanks!

Jim

:D

Yeah, it sounds kind of nuts. But it's like anything else. Pure alcohol can kill you from system shock, but 5% in beer is fine.

The kind of magnets that are dangerous are very far from being refrigerator magnets.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 04:54 PM »
The kind of magnets that are dangerous are very far from being refrigerator magnets.

...unless you want to move the "refrigerator!"  :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 09:50 PM »
For real? Is your short story on the web? I'd like to read it. Post it on your blog somewhere and give us a link!

Thanks!

Jim
Well, Jim, since you asked...the short story is up on my website:
http://aram.dcmember...al/drawing-a-friend/
I've PM'd you the password.  I hope you enjoy.  My only disclaimer is that I was about 16 years old at the time and I didn't know didly squat about life, literature, and all that mature stuff.  And I put a little picture of me at the end that shows that I never grew out of my superman phase. ;D

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 10:18 PM »
Not sure what you were worried about; nothing out of sorts with the story at all. I enjoyed it!

Thanks!

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 10:30 PM »
Not sure what you were worried about; nothing out of sorts with the story at all. I enjoyed it!

Thanks!

Jim
Hey, thanks!  I don't know...maybe I'm just paranoid.  Some girl once mentioned that using the phrase, "Playing with the two magnets in my pocket..." may sound a little...curious.  And I thought, "Oh Sh-t!  That DOES sound pretty...curious.  My defense is that if I had indeed meant it as a subtle metaphor, it's really not that subtle.  Hence, it was an accident.  But then you get into the whole Freudian slip argument, and so on, ... whatever.  So, in short, I really do mean actual magnets...I was NOT playing with the mojo.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 11:24 PM »
LOL! I had a friend - really, I did have one, believe it or not! - who swore that the term "Freudian slip" referred to an incident (accident?) that occurred when old Sigmund tried to scurry along too fast on the ice.

Me? I know that it refers to the particular lingerie that Sigmund wore under his dress to keep it from clinging too much.   ;)   ;D

Jim

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2010, 11:35 PM »
app103 - a microwave oven can do the same.

I am surprised at all the trepidation over some tiny little refrigerator magnets! Come on folks! Refrigerator magnets!! I would hazard a guess - out on a limb here - that many more people are killed in auto accidents than by their refrigerator magnets, but I'll wager that no one gives driving their cars that much cautious forethought!!  :P

Thanks!

Jim

Magnets can kill.

A 6-year-old boy died after undergoing an MRI exam at a New York-area hospital when the machine's powerful magnetic field jerked a metal oxygen tank across the room, crushing the child's head.

Magnets can kill.

Doctors at Altnagelvin Hospital in Londonderry saved the life of a three-year-old boy after he swallowed several magnets which burst his appendix when they clamped around it — the first known case of its kind.

Magnets can kill.

The facts: Since 2005, there has been one death and 86 injuries from magnets and 8 million magnetic toys have been recalled.
The problem: Today’s magnets can be very small and very powerful—so much so that when a child swallows two or more magnets or a magnet and another metal object, the items can attract through intestinal walls and get trapped in place. This can twist or pinch the intestines causing holes, blockages, infection and even death.
The solution: Watch carefully for loose magnets that may fall out of various toys and keep magnets away from children younger than six. Check any magnet toys to see if they’ve been recalled and, if so, stop using such toys immediately.

MAGNETS CAN KILL!

When you get to the bottom of the page, there is no shortage of links to more stories showing just how dangerous common everyday magnets are.

It doesn't matter if they are tiny magnets in a child's toy or the giant powerful magnets used in MRI machines, or any size in between. ALL magnets have the potential to kill, and that potential increases with the power of the magnet. The kind of magnets we have been talking about in this thread are not common fridge magnets. Your common fridge magnet doesn't have 890 lbs of pull force, but there is one that does on the page I linked to in my first reply in this thread.  :o

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 12:01 AM »
Well of all the things out there in the world that can kill me, I guess that magnets are on that list somewhere.........   :-\

Jim

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 05:37 AM »
CodeTRUCKER, I've used these Fridge Magnets
They're more expensive than those J-Mac linked to, but the magnets are stronger.

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2010, 08:36 AM »
Lee Valley also sells rare earth magnets, in several configurations, one of which might suit your purpose:

http://www.leevalley...px?cat=3&p=42363

Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2010, 09:00 AM »
I am SO getting these magnets below:
SPEC9001.gif

Those are only $10!!  I love that SuperMagnetMan store.  I'm probably going to be buying there a lot.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 12:02 PM »
CodeTRUCKER, I've used these Fridge Magnets
They're more expensive than those J-Mac linked to, but the magnets are stronger.

I disagree. The ones I purchased there are No. PIN3000 low on the page. They are only .5" dia. as opposed to the .75" and all are N40 strength. Plus the Supermagnetman ones cost $4.00 for a pack of 10 while the ones you linked to are $7.50 EACH. Wow! Not sure how you get stronger? Aren't they both N40?

Thank you.

Jim

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2010, 06:07 PM »
No argument .. thought you were referring to the N35 magnets  :D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2010, 11:25 PM »
I just bought three of those babies!!  The ones I pictured above, that is.  Man, I sure hope they're as cool as I think they are!