topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Looking for Refrigerator Magnets that work  (Read 22300 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for Refrigerator Magnets that work
« on: September 25, 2010, 02:41 PM »
I can find numerous claims on the Internet about the "holding" power of refrigerator/bulletin board magnets.  The ones I have tried from the grocery stores just don't cut it.  Any suggestions (links would be appreciated)?
TIA

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for Refrigerator Magnets that work
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 03:41 PM »
These would work quite well. Buy them by the pull force you need and be careful not to get yourself one that's too strong that you can't get it off your fridge.  8)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 03:44 PM »
These would work quite well. Buy them by the pull force you need and be careful not to get yourself one that's too strong that you can't get it off your fridge.  8)

Wow, some of those would be strong enough to erase the data in the fridge's ROM!

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 03:58 PM »
You might also want to read their safety warnings page: http://www.magnet4le..._info1.php?page_id=1

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 04:05 PM »
You might also want to read their safety warnings page: http://www.magnet4le..._info1.php?page_id=1

Would you like to join the legal firm I keep on retainer?  :up:

Seriously, it was good form to bring that disclaimer to attention of all.  They are certainly not toys!

cchian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Neodymium magnets are very cool! Got my last set from ebay and they were 1/4 inch cylinders which makes them fairly easy to handle and not too strong to pull away. You can also get push pin magnets which are neodymium magnets attached to plastic pins.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Neodymium magnets are very cool! Got my last set from ebay and they were 1/4 inch cylinders which makes them fairly easy to handle and not too strong to pull away. You can also get push pin magnets which are neodymium magnets attached to plastic pins. Emphasis added.

I think this is what I am looking for.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 10:32 PM »
If all else fails, rip open a broken/unusable hard drive and use the magnets within. Those are everlasting strong.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 11:53 PM »
If all else fails, rip open a broken/unusable hard drive and use the magnets within. Those are everlasting strong.

There's a creative alternative!

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 12:10 AM »

And speaker magnets are one of my old favorites. An old pair of large speakers that don't work any more will give you 2 of them. Be sure to pull them out before you toss the speakers in the trash.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 12:18 AM »

And speaker magnets are one of my old favorites. An old pair of large speakers that don't work any more will give you 2 of them. Be sure to pull them out before you toss the speakers in the trash.

Yes!  I had forgotten about those "old" speakers, but I thought anything in the last twenty years used some other kind of fancy "quasi-electro-magnet"  Do they still use real magnets in speakers nowadays?

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 12:21 AM »
Yes!  I had forgotten about those "old" speakers, but I thought anything in the last twenty years used some other kind of fancy "quasi-electro-magnet"  Do they still use real magnets in speakers nowadays?

I don't know. I haven't had any busted speakers large enough to be worth taking apart to find out, in about 25 years.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 12:22 AM »
Yes!  I had forgotten about those "old" speakers, but I thought anything in the last twenty years used some other kind of fancy "quasi-electro-magnet"  Do they still use real magnets in speakers nowadays?
I don't know. I haven't had any busted speakers large enough to be worth taking apart to find out, in about 25 years Emphasis added.
Your Honor, the prosecution rests.  :P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:29 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 03:33 PM »
I use salvaged doughnut shaped magnets from old microwave ovens for fridge magnets. They work best if covered in cloth or paper. They work for holding kitchen knives to the back of my electric range too.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 07:27 PM »

:) :)  watch your fingers if you have 2 of them close together.  They really snap!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 09:16 PM »
+1 for neodymium magnets.

That's what I use on my fridge. I love them.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Best I have found here:  http://www.supermagnetman.net/index.php?cPath=25

Super strong (the ones that look like push-pins). Also, the ones that have little hooks on them. Really excellent and not expensive. I have been dealing with this site for a while now and they are reliable.

Jim

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 10:41 PM »
Best I have found here:  http://www.supermagnetman.net/index.php?cPath=25

Super strong (the ones that look like push-pins). Also, the ones that have little hooks on them. Really excellent and not expensive. I have been dealing with this site for a while now and they are reliable.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.  I will give them a shot.  I'm sure I will have the same success you have. :Thmbsup:

<Edit> I just realized these have the advantage of "tipping" them onto an edge which is far superior (and easier) to try to "pull" them straight off.  Great design!  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:28 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

cchian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 11:19 PM »
Care for something stronger? Do a search for "350 lb Rare Earth Neodymium Magnet w Hook". This is some powerful stuff so be sure to read the warnings if you get one.
I found a listing here:
http://www.imperialproductsonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46&products_id=210

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 11:58 PM »
Care for something stronger? Do a search for "350 lb Rare Earth Neodymium Magnet w Hook". This is some powerful stuff so be sure to read the warnings if you get one.
I found a listing here:
http://www.imperialproductsonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46&products_id=210

Hahahaha~!

That's a very BAD idea! You don't want them to be too strong.

You can get them with 1,000's of lbs/kgs of force.

Remember, neodymium magnets can be VERY dangerous. Small ones are fun, but larger ones are NOT toys. You can seriously injure yourself with them.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 12:02 AM »
From that page you posted:

CAUTION:

The magnet featured in this advertisement is not a toy and must be handled with extreme caution. The improper handling and/or use of this magnet can result in irrevocable damage to property as well as serious physical damage. While the magnetic field generated by a rare earth magnet is rather shallow, it should not be placed directly on top of computer equipment or equipment subject to detriment by magnetic interference.Because this magnet is attracted to metal at a force equivalent to 350 lbs, it is absolutely imperative that the user never position his/her fingers and/or other appendages in between the magnet and a metal surface. This magnet's attraction to metal is so intense that fingers would be literally severed if inadvertently caught beneath the magnet.

By all means, never stand beneath the magnet when it is carrying a load as a sudden shift in weight could result in the load disengaging from the magnet and falling to the ground. The magnet should never be used to suspend any metal object above a person or object of value.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 06:22 AM »
From that page you posted:

CAUTION:

The magnet featured in this advertisement is not a toy and must be handled with extreme caution. The improper handling and/or use of this magnet can result in irrevocable damage to property as well as serious physical damage. While the magnetic field generated by a rare earth magnet is rather shallow, it should not be placed directly on top of computer equipment or equipment subject to detriment by magnetic interference.Because this magnet is attracted to metal at a force equivalent to 350 lbs, it is absolutely imperative that the user never position his/her fingers and/or other appendages in between the magnet and a metal surface. This magnet's attraction to metal is so intense that fingers would be literally severed if inadvertently caught beneath the magnet.

By all means, never stand beneath the magnet when it is carrying a load as a sudden shift in weight could result in the load disengaging from the magnet and falling to the ground. The magnet should never be used to suspend any metal object above a person or object of value.

And from the warning page I posted:

• The strong magnetic fields of neodymium magnets can damage items such as television, computer monitors, credit cards, bank cards, computers, diskettes and other data carriers, video tapes, mechanical watches, hearing aids, loud speakers and VCRs. Pace-makers may be damaged or switch to "Test Mode" in the presence of a strong magnetic force, if a pace-maker is in use, keep a minimum of 3 feet distance.
  • You should avoid having constant contact with magnets of any size and keep a distance of at least 3 feet to large magnets.

There was even more warnings, but those 2 items really stood out to me. Powerful magnets can kill people, without them even touching them.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 08:50 AM »

Jim
Wow...that is a kick ass magnet store.  I love magnets, always have.  I have a box of magnets I've collected since I was a kid.  I even wrote a short story about magnets...eesh ;)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 12:39 PM »
app103 - a microwave oven can do the same.

I am surprised at all the trepidation over some tiny little refrigerator magnets! Come on folks! Refrigerator magnets!! I would hazard a guess - out on a limb here - that many more people are killed in auto accidents than by their refrigerator magnets, but I'll wager that no one gives driving their cars that much cautious forethought!!  :P

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 12:44 PM »

Jim
Wow...that is a kick ass magnet store.  I love magnets, always have.  I have a box of magnets I've collected since I was a kid.  I even wrote a short story about magnets...eesh ;)

For real? Is your short story on the web? I'd like to read it. Post it on your blog somewhere and give us a link!

Thanks!

Jim