ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Dominion Rules Character Creator

<< < (2/5) > >>

phitsc:
Just like mouser I have currently no use for it. Nevertheless, I gave the app a short try. Well, I guess it is useful, but to be honest, I think the user experience could be greatly improved ;) (and that comes from the guy who's NANY app is a command line tool, hahaha).

I see from your system requirements that the application is .NET based. May I ask, what language is it written in?

kyrathaba:
@phitsc: it's written in C#.  Any specific suggestions for improving the user-experience?  I deliberately made the progression through the program hand-holding, with lots of instruction messageboxes and confirmatory Yes/No dialogs.  Still, any constructive criticism is, of course, welcomed :)

@timns: to my knowledge, nobody has built a game around the rules, although I'm considering it ;)  I did find one forum, once, where somebody had hacked out a quick program using the combat rules to implement a fight-simulation (between two circles, representing combatants ;))  But no full games that I know of, no.

timns:
I see the rules are free to use: I should grab a copy and take a look.

One day I'll turn my attentions to something like that. I've had an idea for a reasonably original Sci-Fi RPG since 1986, and about four false starts at writing it over all that time.

kyrathaba:
@timns: What language would you likely program it in?

The rules are quite elegant, IMHO.  Everything is accomplished with a d12 die.  I should point out that my character creator departs slightly from the official rules for character creation.  I don't like the method described in the rules manual.  However, my program is, in my estimation, 99% compliant with official Dominion Rules.

phitsc:
@phitsc: it's written in C#.  Any specific suggestions for improving the user-experience?  I deliberately made the progression through the program hand-holding, with lots of instruction messageboxes and confirmatory Yes/No dialogs.  Still, any constructive criticism is, of course, welcomed :)
-kyrathaba (November 25, 2010, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I see. The problem is that the message boxes make it very cumbersome to use the application. And if you've used the app a couple of times, you'll maybe not need that much guidance any more. I think I'd make the app more Wizard-like. You can still provide the info, but not in message boxes, but somewhere around the controls the user needs to change parameters. And having the possibility to go back and forth makes the Yes/No dialogues redundant. So, provide the information (i.e. the hand-holding), but not in such a hindering kind of way. You could also get rid of the instructions of how to use the controls if you'd use more standard controls, e.g. where the user has to choose Vigour, Agility, etc. why not use the little up/down controls so the user can stick with the mouse, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version